Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Ignorance about ignorance.

Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
13 years ago
59 posts
Being ignorant on a subject is forgiveable. You can learn. People can help you, you can absorb information and thus reduce your ignorance. As such the ignorant evolve into the enlightened.But what do you do when you are ignorant about your own ignorance? When no matter how much some one tries to tell you the truth, and how much evidence of the truth is placed before them, they still refuse to listen and believe? I'm not talking about religion because that's a whole different ball game when speaking of faith. I'm speaking of the smaller, wholly provable things in life. Things like stealing being wrong... that you should fix and pay for damages to other peoples goods you cause..... that you should pay people back who do you favours. That vandalising things of beauty and importance to others is wrong. That breaking into property just for shits and giggles is wrong. That making others feel bad is wrong. Even to smaller things like the fact there is no NEED for dread maintenance, that a posh name doesn't mean your clothes/car/guitar are necessarily any better than the next persons. That some animals just do not exist and are an urban myth...... the list goes onWhen a person denounces fact.... I mean something that CANNOT be speculated upon cos anyone with half a brain cell can see it..... it then goes beyond ignorance and into stupidity.This is how racism and prejudice is born. It is how a criminal mind evolves. A dangerous mind set. When someone is able to fully believe, in an unshaking manner that wrong is right.... about any subject despite attempts to educate, I think you are looking at a potentially dangerous person. When you meet a person who is completely sure that wrong is right you should run away. This is something I have learned and I am only glad that I have never come a cropper before I learned this lesson...Discuss.
updated by @fay-brotherhood: 02/14/15 12:05:11PM
baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts

i am also a big fan of facts, and when i come across these people, one of two things will happen. usually, i just kind of start smiling and stop talking and laughing on the inside at how silly and close-minded they are. it just becomes entertainment at that point. rarely, though, i'll try to press on with my point, the whole thing ending in anger on both sides, usually.

some people can't handle the truth. some people are not worthy of it. that's what makes the people who ARE worthy of the truth and are living truthful lives so precious and important.

baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts
hm... seems like there are some proven facts about natural dreads, so i think that's why fay could lump it with other moral topics. yes, we certainly should accept others for who they are and the choices they make, but i think the point being made here is that an open mind is the best kind. how can you ever learn anything if you think you know it all already?
Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
13 years ago
59 posts

When 'lumping' these ideas together, I mention the dread thing more than anything because I was looking for small things to illustrate the point alongside large things that anyone who is totally closed minded on a subject, even in the face of evidence to the contrary is of potentially worrying mindset.

Of course I am generalising here, there are exceptions to every rule, but it's just a perception.

On the dreadmaintenancething, obviously it's up to everyone what they do, but the point I was making was of totally closed minded people who live in ignorance. There is nothing wrong with a choice made after educating yourself. It is the people who are ignorant about the fact they live in ignorance that irk me.......... and that applies to so many things in life....... and I just think it's a mind set that potentially leads from small insignificant things to much bigger things....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

god it really amazes me how some oppl are so capable of missing the point entirely

she (not he) mentions dread maintenance saying dread mainteance is not nesacary

not saying you are superior for going neglect (why oh wghy do u trow that out at every opurtunity unless u feel inferiour? hmm?) she simpley stated a fact dread maintenance is not needed

so ppl who live in ignorance of this fact believiving that they are incapable of even washing their own hair withoit paying a salon to wash it and maintain it are capable of learning the trurth and growing from that truth but then thete are others who simply refuse to even listen

you tell them that they dont need to waste money on salons and they insist they do

they insist theres no other way

hell they even sometimes tell you your lying and u must go to a salon too

(ive had that happen)

or insist that you must be doing maintencance but not admitting it.

this is the wole point of the discussion (not the dread related part specificly but the tendency for certain personality types to never accept simple truths to insist on being wrong or should i say insist on being right even when proven wrong

and a complete refusal to even concider the evidence to the contrary.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
The less money and time we waste, the more we can give to others who really need it...
Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

Lol what I love about this is that you are ignorant about the mechanisms behind prejudice. Pick up a psychology text book.

Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
13 years ago
59 posts

Again, I added the word prejudice as just a simple, highly generalised example to illustrate a point. I was never talking about the root of prejudice and its mechanisms. I believe it is just one of the many symptoms of the concept of being ignorant about your own ignorance.

I'm just making some linkages and hypothesising based upon observations of the workings of a few people I have known who have been generally not nice people. I have noticed that the thought processes that allow their worst behaviour seem to filter down into less significant areas of life. And I wonder if that is a thing of significance.

I like reading about psychology but I'm doing a wildlife conservation degree and will never be a psychology expert by any stretch of the imagination. HOWEVER I am NOT ignorant of my own ignorance, which is the point behind my post. II think it's nice to share everyone's pooled knowledge on forums and share ideas :)

Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

Sorry, reread my post and it sounds WAY mean. I didn't mean it to sound like that!

Ooh if you actually fancy reading a book try "The Lucifer Effect" by erm... Philip Zimbardo. Friking awesome book.

Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts
Actually morality like religion is based on belief not facts.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form