Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Thank you SE. I think what really needs to happen is that someone comparable to you should be asked to come in to all schools of cosmetology and teach about dreads. The problem is that schools will not ask those to speak who don't have a license, even when that individual is highly knowledgeable and skilled. It also seems that dreads fall under the category of "ethnic hair care" and is thus, generally overlooked....what a shame. So many students could benefit. Another thing is that like chiropractors in a world of doctors...stylists are conditioned to believe that there is only one way of treating a client to acheive results and that way is chock full of chemicals. The notion of natural hair, skin, and nail care is unheard of in the general industry.

soaring eagle said:

oh i agree but the fact is most cosmotology schools teach them the wrong things at least when it comes to dreads partialuy cauuse they have ppl like that 1 dude that joined here teaching the schools the wrong info to teach

Panterra Caraway said:

Excuse me...but, just because someone went to Beauty College or works in a salon does not make them automatically wrong either. To be honest, most schools do not discuss or teach about dreads, so this young ladies ignorance most likely came by way of her own conclusions. I have been a licensed Cosmetologist for 31 years and Soaring Eagle and many others here know that I do know what I am talking about. I think that to lump ANYONE into a category as in....All stylists, or all dreaded people...is wrong and to be honest, her attitude was rude and arrogant but how smug are some of you all being? Thank you.
Monte Jackson
@monte-jackson
13 years ago
34 posts
Lol that story was classic. i kno i would have cracked up laughing as soon as she pointed to herself and said cosmo. school.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
it's so unfortunate but it all comes down to money. Just like the pharmaceutical companies do whatever they can to make the big bucks even if it's ultimately harmful to people's health, many cosmetology schools teach harmful methods of dreading because there's not as much money to be made by telling people about natural dreading , backcombing or T & R which can easily be done at home. Thank the goddess we have smart, accomplished hair stylists like yourself to help spread the knowledge, Love You Mama!!

Panterra Caraway said:
Thank you SE. I think what really needs to happen is that someone comparable to you should be asked to come in to all schools of cosmetology and teach about dreads. The problem is that schools will not ask those to speak who don't have a license, even when that individual is highly knowledgeable and skilled. It also seems that dreads fall under the category of "ethnic hair care" and is thus, generally overlooked....what a shame. So many students could benefit. Another thing is that like chiropractors in a world of doctors...stylists are conditioned to believe that there is only one way of treating a client to acheive results and that way is chock full of chemicals. The notion of natural hair, skin, and nail care is unheard of in the general industry.

soaring eagle said:

oh i agree but the fact is most cosmotology schools teach them the wrong things at least when it comes to dreads partialuy cauuse they have ppl like that 1 dude that joined here teaching the schools the wrong info to teach

Panterra Caraway said:

Excuse me...but, just because someone went to Beauty College or works in a salon does not make them automatically wrong either. To be honest, most schools do not discuss or teach about dreads, so this young ladies ignorance most likely came by way of her own conclusions. I have been a licensed Cosmetologist for 31 years and Soaring Eagle and many others here know that I do know what I am talking about. I think that to lump ANYONE into a category as in....All stylists, or all dreaded people...is wrong and to be honest, her attitude was rude and arrogant but how smug are some of you all being? Thank you.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Awww! Thank you hunie! I try my best. I have never felt comfortable with dishonesty and I could have made ALOT more money if I just mindlessly did procedures that clients are not suitable for (as in they are too damaged to undergo a chemical process) or the upkeep up of some service thatwill break them financially or otherwise. I work responsibly and have always tried to educate my clients in basic hair care. To me, success is measured in trust and mutual respect. Love you too Mama <3

NaturalWomyn said:
it's so unfortunate but it all comes down to money. Just like the pharmaceutical companies do whatever they can to make the big bucks even if it's ultimately harmful to people's health, many cosmetology schools teach harmful methods of dreading because there's not as much money to be made by telling people about natural dreading , backcombing or T & R which can easily be done at home. Thank the goddess we have smart, accomplished hair stylists like yourself to help spread the knowledge, Love You Mama!!

Panterra Caraway said:

soaring eagle said:

Panterra Caraway said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form