Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any advice for losing established dreadz?

Nadya Papusa
@nadya-papusa
13 years ago
11 posts

Hey all!

I've had dreadz for about 10/11 years and am thinking it's time to lose them. I just fancy a change and I do have kids and live in fear of the dreaded lice coming round and the children are fed up with being sprayed with repellant every morning! I have never put products on them or given them much maitenence and have always thought myself fortunate for how easily they dread up neatly - until now! I have been trying to grow the tops but they get swallowed up and I hate washing them because they take so long to dry (doesn't mean I won't if anyone has a sound plan!)

I really REALLY don't want to shave my head I know it's shallow but I just won't be able to pull it off!

I wondered if anyone has done this before and has any advice? I have conditioned and combed out baby dreads before on a friend but I've tried and failed with that method on these babies so I guess I'm asking for any miraculous tips you guys may have!!

Thanks in advance!!

updated by @nadya-papusa: 01/13/15 09:01:24PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok you interlocked (pullint the dread through the roots) thats an extremely bad idea and probably will make it that much harder to take out however

my priority is not taking them out but helping yiu keep them

lice prevention add teatree oil to whatever you wash the hair with and kids hair

its very unlikely that you will ever get lice then

but if you do

kids.. cover then hair and scalp with mayonese or vasaline for an houtr then wash then do vinager soak 15 miniutes then wash repeat every 3 days

for you do the same but with 70 rubbing alcahol instead of mayonese or vasaline (breathe through a paper towel tube for fresh air)

both wrap head in plastic to sea in the fumes )aslcahol) or prevent them from escaping

it sufocates them they die u need to do min 30 min better an hour

u must repeat every 3 days for 9 day minumum

ok if u reallly must remove your dreads the interlocking may be hard to undo (please never do that again and never recomend that its soooo bad for dreads)

soak in lotsa conditioner or olive oil and work at it slowly it can take weeks if u get stuck add alot more conditioner or oil squeezzing it deep into the tight knots then move on to a different dreadwhile that 1 loosenes

the interlocked points though may give u troubel

your kinda lucky none broke where u did that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nadya Papusa
@nadya-papusa
13 years ago
11 posts
Ok sorry an old dready told me about pulling through years ago and now you have mentioned it I can see how that's going to make it harder! I can't remember how long I've been doing it! - (promise I won't recomend it to anyone else!) I am so torn about getting rid of them I think 'right this week' then retreat back to comfy old dread world as I do love them and can't really imagine not being 'katiedreadz' (Nadya is my family/Roma name) I have already fought a few successful battles with the lice but it's it's a stinky and anit-social process! I'm worried about being middle aged and having thin hair when I take them out as before it was thick and curly and some days I just fancy a change I guess. Thank you for your tips though, I tried to comb one out the other week and just after a few inches I had a bag of hair come off - I stopped, freaked, and plaited it up!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u will lose handfulls as u comb out

id just keep yor dreads for life

stop pulling through the roots reat em gengtly mostly just leave em alone they take care of themselves i would wash more tho

dreads love to be washed

i wash with the baking soda deep clean add teatree rosemary lavender pepermint and lemongrass both teatree and lemongrass prevent lice

and my dreads smell yummy

--
Nadya Papusa
@nadya-papusa
13 years ago
11 posts
Hey my dreads smell yummy! If not I get my kids on my case! Thank you for your advice though. I occasionally make a rinse of essential oils and put it through but dreads are meant to have a hairy smell rather than salon fresh surely?! I have a tea-tree etc oil spray that I put on the kids as they are at school. As for my maintenance they are pretty much left alone as lucky for my lazy self they are pretty self sufficient which is why I'm reluctant to say goodbye!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
if the kids dont like the tetree smell try adding lil touch of lemongrass

--
Nadya Papusa
@nadya-papusa
13 years ago
11 posts
Yeah there's that in it too but I think it's the fact that they smell different from their friends although I like it, they are the only white kids in a Bengali school and smelling like your mum doesn't help!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well itt dont got to be strong and noticable to wiork

--
Nadya Papusa
@nadya-papusa
13 years ago
11 posts
I know I think after my previous battles with them I've got over cautious!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form