Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Ridiculous? I think so

Isaiah Carter
@isaiah-carter
13 years ago
14 posts
I am trying to find some ways to earn money during the summer to help my parents out with money because of the bad economy we have. i applied for a job and they turned me down because i had dreadlocks and they saw it as unproffesional. But they do prohibit facial tattoos and huge gauges and splitting your tounge in half like some people do. I dont have any thing against these things but i feel dreads are just as or even more proffesional than those things so why shouldnt i be aloud to get some money to help my family?
updated by @isaiah-carter: 01/13/15 08:57:39PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

go back there demand to see theyre polocies regarding dress hair and tatooes and body mods if its not in writting yopu can sue or force them to hire you..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Isaiah Carter
@isaiah-carter
13 years ago
14 posts
I didnt think they could actually do that in the first place i thought i had the right to express myself but i guess not anymore
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

knotty you are wro9ng they have the right to foollow the company guidelines if the person hiring you says they are not hiring you because of dreads then they must provide the written polocy stating that the company, not the hiring individual has thsat polocy, and the wording must be exact as well.

you have the right to request the companies written polocy and review it personaly asking for clarification, not from the person interviewing you, but in writting from the head of the hr department. or the general manager.

the hiring person cawn have a personakll predjudice but if its not explicitly writen into the companies hiring polocy they have zero right to use that as an excuse for not hiring you.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they can..if you let them but your saying they when you were talking to a he or she not a they

thats why you have to ignore the he or she and request the legal documents that explain the polocies of the they.

the person you spoke to is not a representative of company polocy they are themselves an employee of that companie

employees do not always do as the company expects them tio

you have to know exactly how the company polocty is worded

Isaiah Carter said:

I didnt think they could actually do that in the first place i thought i had the right to express myself but i guess not anymore

--
Isaiah Carter
@isaiah-carter
13 years ago
14 posts
Alright ill check into there policy thoroughly tommorow got to get my brothers and sisters into bed thanks alot SE

soaringeagle said:

they can..if you let them but your saying they when you were talking to a he or she not a they

thats why you have to ignore the he or she and request the legal documents that explain the polocies of the they.

the person you spoke to is not a representative of company polocy they are themselves an employee of that companie

employees do not always do as the company expects them tio

you have to know exactly how the company polocty is worded

Isaiah Carter said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they stated that the dreaads were the reason if its not in the polocy you do not need a lawyer yiou won

but yes any lawyer would take it the aclu would take it

if you dont fight for your rights you have no rights at all

Knottysleeves said:

The OP is only a job candidate , not an actual employee. Employers don't owe him a job, and what's to say he'd be guaranteed to get it if he didn't have dreads? If they didn't want to hire him, they'd just come up with another reason.

99% of lawyers would not even bother taking this kind of case (especially if it's in an"at-will employment" state) and really, who would want to work for a company who hired you only because a legal judgment required them to? Is that really a battle worth fighting? Cut your losses and move on, I say. Discrimination really sucks, but that's life... the more freedom you take in your choices, the more you have to accept that others may disapprove.

--
Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts
I know in Michigan they hire at-will.This means they can hire and fire with no good reason. It is considered a privilege to work for someone else, not a right.
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
I don't know in my opinion it makes more sense for the employer to have the right to not hire based on hairstyle. Because if they can't than that's kind of an infringement on their rights to hire whoever they want.
Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts
Come to Canada workers have more rights then in the 'land of the free'. I know of a man that had a tattoo that showed on is neck and the RCMP refused to hire him because of it...he actually won is case. It is very difficult to not hire someone based on looks here in Canada... some companies try but its easy to win your case. I even saw a policewoman with dread locks in a town near Montreal.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form