dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Going out in the woods....

MyNameIsMyName
@mynameismyname
13 years ago
8 posts

...But, ZOMG TICKS!!!!

So im deathly afraid of deer ticks... How can i keep those tiny little things out of my scalp and away from my body Naturally? If i were to get a tick or two in my hair i dont know what id do. Id do my best to not cut my dreads, but i really wouldnt like getting Lyme disease. Has anyone survived a tick attack and lived to tell about it?

I know the easy answer is "Bug spray", but when that is not enough what should be done to deter ticks and prevent them from digging into your scalp?

Discuss.

updated by @mynameismyname: 01/13/15 08:55:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i spend alotta time in the woods and in 20 years had only 2 ticks ever bite me while the guy next to me might find 15 within an hour

im guessing its the teatree oil

possibly good vegatarian diet without alotta sweets

i dunno

a tick aint gonna kill ya if u get 1 just remove it

dont be so paranoid

i wouldnt bother with bug spray at all

when im in the wilderness the 1st 2 days i get eatten alot no matter what bug spray i use and i used 1 developped for lilitary to use in the jungkles none do any good

but

stopping using asny scented soasps or tiolet paperr no processed foods all fresh cooked veggie food

getting dirty and hanging by a fire

after 2 days they will never bite u

when u get bit smear mud on the bite it will cool the itch and deter more bites

hand by the fire alot the smoke chases em away and when u smell sm,mokey they have no interest in u

basicly the more u smell like the earth the woods the nvoronment u are in and the less like a humasn with sweet perfumes (even the scent added to tiolet paper () they are very attracted to scents and perfumes ..and sweet sugwery smelling blood

the natural way to repel bugs is to smell like nature but naturae afyter a fire is even better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

oils that repell bugs

teatree

eucolyptus

citronela

pennyroyal (do not use around pregnant women)

theres more these are just 1st to pop into mind

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TheSilentRebellion
@thesilentrebellion
13 years ago
24 posts
Glad ya asked this question :-P I'm terrified of ticks! Never really thought about them recently, but still good to get the advice from SE.
ourdub
@ourdub
13 years ago
47 posts

i've gotten into quite a few tick patches. if you know your going into serious tick country.. please please please do keep your head covered. that's the best advice i can give.

i use a lot of the oils suggested when washing my dreads as well. you can usually find scented soap of these scents too. i know bronners at least makes two of them.. while that hasn't been completely effective at keeping them off my body, ive not had one on my scalp. cover up, and check often..please keep in mind

"transmission is quite rare, with only about 1% of recognized tick bites resulting in Lyme disease; this may be due to the fact that an infected tick must be attached for at least a day for transmission to occur."-Lyme disease wiki.

-the guy next to SE with 15 ticks within an hour

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I have only ever had 2 ticks on me one bit my inside of my ear and the other I found crawling on me....I had always heard ticks were in trees and fell down onto your head? I was also wondering if the tea tree helped since it repells lice and what not so definately going to be using tea tree oil on me and the kid's hair before camping this summer!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
as long as you check yourself after going into the woods it shouldn't be a big deal. It takes 48-72 hours of a tick being attached to you to pass on Lyme disease. Definitely not something to freak out about. Tea tree and citronella keep the bugs away. If you get one on you just pull it off it's not like it lice!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form