Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Surviving the "firsts"...

Red-Dreads
@red-dreads
13 years ago
1 posts

Just coming out of the holidays, I thought I would share some of my experiences as friends and family saw my dreads for the "1st time".

The Christmas Concert/Play at the kids school. No one commented, but BOY did they look at me like a stranger. ME? The woman that has been bringing 3 kids through that school for the past 6 years. Birthday parties, school functions... it was funny to see how "less" parents came to say hello. So, now that I don't swamp my head with chemicals, I am less approachable? LOL

Then, there's Christmas. Although I have been very actively posting pictures on my facebook profile of my dreads, I don't think anyone really took notice until I showed up at their house for a holiday visit.

The usual opening conversations:

Q. What's up with your hair?

A. Not sure. What do you mean?

Q. What did you do to your hair?

A. Nothing. Why?

Comment. It looks messy.

My retort: PERFECT! I must be doing something right then =)

Q. Why?

A1. Because I can.

A2. Why not?

Anyone else going through "firsts" and care to share?

updated by @red-dreads: 01/13/15 08:53:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

my 1st time seeing my parents with my dreads they were picking me up at the train sration and pull in then say og hell no no way your getting in my car looking like that

so i said ok stuck up my thimb and said ill get in a strangers car looking like this im sure they wont be so close minded

funny thing was.. i beat em to the house and was there waitting for em when they got home

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lindsay Daly
@lindsay-daly
13 years ago
4 posts

I don't have dreads yet, but the comments I get when I talk about how I want them is astounding. I should have guessed considering they continue to struggle with my decision to be vegetarian/vegan. I really like the way your dreads look and it is really nice that your work has no issues with it. Did you do the twist and rip method? and did you do it all yourself?

Thanks!

Lindsay

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
unfortunately, people don't always have filters that would keep them from saying things they shouldn't. since i'm doing my dreads the natural way it's a lot easier to hide whats going on with my hair just by wearing a scarf or hat. i still have a bunch of unknotted hair. i have a friend (and i use that word loosely) that i still haven't told about my hair journey. she lives a few hours away so i rarely see her but we talk on the phone regularly. she's very close minded. i think she was born with a silver spoon up her butt. lol:) anyway, i know exactly how she'll act and she won't be nice about it. i know she will see my hair at some point in time but i'm hoping it will be when they're mature dreads and i can feel proud of them.
Mal
@mal
13 years ago
15 posts

My parents didn't seem to mind much, i've always been the 'eccentric' one in the family.. so i suppose they just saw it as me. In fact most people have said nothing, they've just continued treating me as i am.. which is totally cool by me, makes it easier on my behalf.

I've had obvious facial expressions of disapproval by distant relatives whom i don't see often, but most have been really accepting and im at a turning point in my life now where i've cut old friendships and have begun to make new ones, so this works in my favor regardless. :)

Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts
I'm close to one month into neglect (with only about 4 1/2 inches of hair) and no one understands what I am doing! It's very frustrating. People always ask me what I am doing and I try to explain it to them. The funny thing is even people with dreadlocks don't understand what I am doing. They tell me when am I gonna "get them done". They look at me puzzled when I explain I'm growing locks naturally.Kiki, I think its great that you are going to contribute to the "Why I Have Dreadlocks" Campaign. One, because it will increase awareness but secondly because it will help support this site and our community.If anyone else is interested in contributing a short video to the "Why I Have Dreadlocks" Campaign please read the following thread I made about it. It contains some great examples and ideas. The thread can be found here: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/why-i-have-dreadlocks-campaign I love this community and just want to see it grow and be supported! <3 -Marcus
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form