Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ways to go green in your home/life

William
@william
15 years ago
15 posts
i wrote out a huge booklet on ways to save energy and ways to be good to the environment when owning a home... and i can't find it! grrrrr...Some of these are obvious... and some could probably branch off into different categories...So, i'll start:1. If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.2. energy saving bulbs throughout entire house. I use the 13w ones.3. Turn your computer off at night, or turn of the monitor when leaving the room.4. Get a water barrel to catch the rainwater from your roof. I water my entire garden for free every year.5. Hang dry your clothes outside in the nice weather or get a rack and hang them inside if you have too.6. Get a HE washer.7. Buy earth friendly cleaners (household cleaner, dishsoap, detergent, etc...)8. buy compostable diapers and dig a hole in your yard... just make sure you don't have dogs that like to dig :)I'm gonna go look for my list again, if i find it I will post wayyyyy more.Peace and Love.
updated by @william: 11/13/21 12:40:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
use dr bronners for all cleanning its the most biodegradable and versatile soapi cant shut off my computer cause even when im asleep its doing somethingbut i do shyurt off the monitor instesd of using a screensaver

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
composting toilet or just go outside as often as possiblethis is not only important for water conservation but the main reason that the soil is so depleted is that animal(humans included) waste needs to go back to the earth as a physical thank you for the food you recieved. This is how new fertile soil is created. Flushing it into a sespool is quite impolite.Also menstruation should go back into the ground as often as possible as well. Soil is the blood of the earth.Sounds strange maybe but if we were living naturally it would be strange not to
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i always answer the question "what isthe purpose of life" like this..to shit and to dieliteraly life is here to perpetuate lifewe are fertalizer for what is to come after.. we rob the environment of billions of tons of nutrients and give nothing back or very lil, our shit and our bodies are meant to fertalize the earth to grow an equal ammount of nutrient rich veggies we consumedand when u think about what we drink. ites recycled water, that was shit and piss then had to be treatted to recycle the waterif we stop flushing all that altogether and instead spread it to the soil we wouldnt need chemical fertalizers and chemicaly treatted water

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
AMEN! soaringeagle said:
i always answer the question "what isthe purpose of life" like this..to shit and to die
literaly life is here to perpetuate life
we are fertalizer for what is to come after.. we rob the environment of billions of tons of nutrients and give nothing back or very lil, our shit and our bodies are meant to fertalize the earth to grow an equal ammount of nutrient rich veggies we consumed

and when u think about what we drink. ites recycled water, that was shit and piss then had to be treatted to recycle the water
if we stop flushing all that altogether and instead spread it to the soil we wouldnt need chemical fertalizers and chemicaly treatted water
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Yea reusable beats compostable in many cases. Same goes for women and menstrual pads.Get one of those cups or the organic cloth ones. Same material probly as the diapers I would assume eh Jelly? Same concept anyway. Jelly said:
Another added bonus, almost every thing on that list saves green as well as being green.

#4... check you local laws first, some places cachement is illegal. but at: "1 acre inch of water = 113.3053382 tons" ( http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/dickinso/research/2004/range04c.htm ) that's a lot of water where it CAN be caught.

#8... I would discourage even compostable diapers. Burying then in the yard is not an option for many, and would require quite a large yard in order to cycle two whole years at two diapers a day. Even if they are gone in one year that's three years of composting to do. Instead I would recommend cloth diapers and hand laundering them as the "greenest." Even after they are worn out, they make great towels and rags for your shop or whatever. We did it and it wasn't that bad. And the contents of a cloth diaper when added to your compost, if allowed to "cool" or mellow for a while (usually at least a year), makes great fertilizer.
William
@william
15 years ago
15 posts
for those of you who use the toilet... We use 1 ply white swan toilet paper from Costco... we only go through less than 2 packs a year. Not bad i guess.Ya, we are still up in the air about the diapers. We thought about how much water and some kind of natural cleaner we would need... I wouldn't want to was all those diapers in the washing machine, that would be killer expensive. We'll see.
Erin Joy Lauzon
@erin-joy-lauzon
15 years ago
15 posts
Changing the topic away from the biohazardous (gross, bleh) waste products...Don't buy products in plastic, or with excessive packaging. I usually consider when buying things how many times i may be able to reuse the packaging. Theres nothing wrong with packing leftovers in old pickle jars. I reuse glass juice bottles for all kinds of stuff. And any jar that has a pressure seal built into the lid can be used safely for canning. Sometimes things are funky and can have creative purposes too. Some kinds of dry goods come in beautiful burlap sacs that make awesome purses.
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
grow your own food!!!!!!!
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
15 years ago
219 posts
Karma, I Love You. My Kinda Woman. Damn Right Grow Your Own Food! Karma Jane said:
grow your own food!!!!!!!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form