Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock Shrinkage - my results

Kyra Lou
@kyra-lou
14 years ago
17 posts
Dang lady! That's impressive! You are officially my dread hero... I myself have straight, fine, and thin hair too which I backcombed... Lol, I'm slightly frightened to see how much they may shrink! Last time I had short hair I cried for a month afterwards because it was so awful looking although you, I must say, pull off the look quite nicely! Haha, I even dreaded my bangs (probably around or under 6") so... I wonder how short they'll get!Anyway, I just had to give you my compliments!
updated by @kyra-lou: 07/22/15 11:41:40AM
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
I started with hair almost to my waist.and ended with dreads resting on my shoulders. I see all these beautiful long dreads and can't wait for them to grow. I recently saw a picture of me from halloween 2009. My dreads are about 4 inches longer..not much for a year ...but i have to consider all the knotting at the roots taking up some length. But still they are finally growing and not shrinking !!!! Your dreads look great!!! They will be glorious!!!!
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Hey everyone! Thanks for the additional comments, I haven't been on in a while so I missed some of these. Thanks for the encouragement on me pulling off short hair: I personally love having short hair sometimes, but I am the heaviest I've ever been and I feel fat with short hair, but the encouragement makes me see myself a little less tubby looking LOL.I have more pics, and for others going through the shrinkage phase or pondering what results will come: I have tight roots, I don't know quite why because I only loosely backcombed and my roots started out quite loose, and I always am seeing people complain about that inch or 2 of undreaded roots and I wish I had that much! The tightness came with the shrinking. Like you, MagicMeganMama, it happened fast. Just a few days before my shrinkage occured I had looked up and commented on "when will this loopy phase end?". Don't get me wrong, I loved my loops and now miss them a lot (though I still have a few and I know those loops are deeply tightly hanging around in my dreadies) but I was curious because it was a long and ever changing phase and I thought my hair was just going from loopy to different loopy to wild loopy to other loopy. The shrinkage happend one day after washing my hair- I did nothing different than normal, it just happend to one in the front. It freaked me out at first and I tried to add oils to condition that one (my front widows peak dread) and loosen it up, but it didn't work and seemed to only assist the shrinkage (I have no clue how).Well that's my long reply, thanks for the encouraging words and I'm uploading more pics soon.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
tubby?dont make me spank u u look goodi would not call u tubby at all it would take 2 ..or even 3 of u yo be tubby

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Oh yeah and also, I mentioned being wary that they wouldn't get legnth very fast because they shrank up so much, and I think it is because my roots shrank too so they were just so super tight that they felt short and sticking out everywhere. In just the 3 weeks or so since then either they've loosened at the roots a bit or my hair is growing well (probably the latter, I am taking mega vitamins because I've always had thin brittle nails and slow growing hair and wanted to combat it) and it's not feeling like they're laying funny or super super short now. It's still short, but it's not looking like it will take forever to get some length. I know as my length comes in it will be slower because it will be tangling into the dreads as it grows, but it's not seeming that bad anymore.Time heals everything LOL
Janice
@janice
12 years ago
49 posts

Wow, that is insane shrinkage, all right. Sheesh! Totally shocking, I'm sure. Not overly looking forward to it myself, but it will be what it will be. All part of the journey, li'l sis. And BTW, I agree to SE about the NONtubby thing!!!

Hang in there, luv.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I started my locks when my hair was about 4-5 inches long. at 1 year, they shrank to about 3 inches. at 5 years the shortest one back then is now a little over a foot long. They shrink a ton at the beginning, but the they explode. My hair, before locks, grew maybe 2 inches a year is I was lucky. now it's more like 3- 3.5 inches a year.

Once your hair is left to take care of itself and kept healthy, it will grow more rapidly than you can imagine

Betsy
@betsy
12 years ago
11 posts

hey its nice to see a hair type and method done similar to mine, ive just gone past 3 weeks.. how old are yours now? did the ends of yours knot up first? thats what mine are doing v strange!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Tubby? Ha! that's a good one. No, you're not even in the ballpark of tubby

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form