Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Reasons for choosing dreadlocks?

Vixie D
@vixie-d
14 years ago
6 posts
Hello all,I've just been having a look at the lovely book 'Dreads' which along with awesome portraits, the people featured in it give their various reasons for choosing dreadlocks.I'm interested to hear from the people on this forum their reasons for choosing dreads.For me it represents my connection to nature and my striving towards unification with the universal creator, whatever name we choose to give this, God, Jah, Allah, Krishna.Whats your? : )
updated by @vixie-d: 02/14/15 03:49:31AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
For me, dreads are a practice in patience and releasing control. I also feel that they celebrate life at its more basic foundation and and support individuality. There is also an element of humility and the turning from vanity...although I do find dreads very beautiful. I too have read the book "Dreads" and find the pictures inspiring and breath taking. Namaste
kam crowley
@kam-crowley
14 years ago
13 posts
i did my dreads as a return to earth, ive been out there for a lil bit, as the grow so do i, as they lock, so will new ideas
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
At first it was that I thought they looked awesome...but looking back now I think I was most attracted to the confidence and peace radiating off of people with dreads...mine are certainty making me feel a lot more confident and at peace :D
Bruce
@bruce
14 years ago
19 posts
For me I like to wear my hair long, but with my thin curly hair it would all be puffed out,with lots of split ends (it was also very dry) and the only way to tame it was to use lots of product to make it look presentable, As I loved how dreads looked it made sence to let my hair dread and now have my hair long and looking presentable without any product
karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
I had a prejudice against people with dreadlocks and a guy moved in with my ex who made dreads and needed work...so i got them crocheted :-/but every week i find myself learning more about myself and the world from my dreads :)
ashley ✿
@ashley
14 years ago
167 posts
hmm, I'd always thought that dreads and I would become great friends, even as a kid. I always knew that I wanted to get dreads. When I started dreads, it became something more of a spiritual journey than a hair style...It has helped me learn so much about myself, and just freed me from all of the restraints that I had on myself(well, getting dreads and Brocky). They are teaching me patience, how to be more natural in my life, and how to really look past everything that people don't really look past when they see people...I hope i made any sense..
Vixie D
@vixie-d
14 years ago
6 posts
Thanks for all the responses, really interesting & insightful to read. It's so true that we can learn so much through the dread journey. Patience & letting go of control are two of the biggest for me. It's amazing that from a 'hairstyle' we can learn so much
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I always caught a lot of shit from people when I went to school; called names, tripped on the stairs, beaten up in the locker rooms, my locker and books vandalized. I was so scared to go to school because I knew no matter how hard I tried to fit in and make myself look normal and act like everyone else that it wouldn't work and each day would be worse than the day before. I got so caught up in trying to be a sheep, that I really lost who I was when I was a kid and happy. Dreads have just help me embrace myself, all of myself, because they're not perfect, but I'm not either, and yet they're still so beautiful.
ashley ✿
@ashley
14 years ago
167 posts
I love your response alden, absolutely right.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form