Dreadlocks Forums

Would you put Dreads on your Child?

Jammmeeesss(:
@jammmeeesss
14 years ago
34 posts
Here's The Most Recent

PictureAnd some older ones

Sadly I don't have pictures with my 2 other favorite suspenders, a blue one and a Dark browinsh green one I have :/
updated by @jammmeeesss: 07/23/15 03:46:11AM
meg ☮
@meg
14 years ago
92 posts
I don't have kids, but I think what I would do would be to keep it as undreaded as possible, but never cut it unless the kid expresses the desire. Even at an early age, I would want to give my kids the opportunity to make many decisions for themselves - that's how they learn.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
@Heather I can't believe you have 7 kids! You must be one busy mama! Much Respect!!!!

@James You are so cute and the suspenders suit you for certain! I love It!

Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
When I say she is a natural born dread I really mean it.Her hair literally dreads by the end of the day and over night and everyday I was forcing them out.45 minutes of pulling locks out of a small child's hair on a regular basis is a very dreadful (pardon the pun) occasion.She would shriek, shiver and protest in pain and beg for me to stop. So I did. She had the final say and so did her hair.My children are free spirits and with freedom comes strong will and believe me if she didn't want them they wouldn't be there.She is very verbal and vocal and expresses herself well beyond her years, she isn't your typical 3 year old in a lot of ways.Kiah adores dreads from the first photo she saw she loved them and I asked if thats what she wanted she said yes. I realize it may be hard for some to imagine but if you met her it wouldn't be hard to understand these words at all and in fact you probably couldn't imagine her any other way.She sing songs about her dreads and talks to mine. It's in her nature. It isn't a cool trend to her or me. It's about freedom. Matthew said:
So if you decided to forfeit the combing, and conditioning knowing that dreads would occur, isn't that still making the decision for her?
Please don't take this as a blow to you, or your child, I'm just trying to get it straight. Either way you're making a decision for your child, correct? I do indeed understand they can't make their own decisions at a young age, and any which way you put it, if you purposely do or don't do something, you're making a choice for them. Island Mamma said:
My daughter has dreads.

She is three. I didn't put them there, they put themselves there.I was constantly conditioning and pulling her dreads out for about two years and I finally had the realization that I was forcing her to be someone/thing she is not. It wasn't a matter of picking a hair style for my kid, it picked her, she's a natural born dread.I decided to dread along with her not her along with me, if that makes sense.I let her hair be and it is SO BEAUTIFUL and she adores it, and so does everyone else.The maintenance we have is minimal. She is natural.I pick out lint (she wont wear a tam or wrap) separate and applying shea butter about once a week. Her hair gets washed whenever needed.As far as peoples ignorance well we'll deal with it if and when it comes.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I just wanted to add even if a child who doesn't have naturally fast dreading hair and a parent combs or cuts or doesn't cut or pony tails or whatever, that that is also a decision and could be viewed as force.Any lifestyle choices really from religions, foods, public schooling or home schooling, style of clothing and on and on...
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Great pics! James Rosales said:
Here's The Most Recent

Picture
And some older ones

Sadly I don't have pictures with my 2 other favorite suspenders, a blue one and a Dark browinsh green one I have :/

updated by @island-mamma: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
recoverytrouble
@recoverytrouble
14 years ago
70 posts
This is beautiful Island Mamma:D she's adorable too by the way. Island Mamma said:
She is very verbal and vocal and expresses herself well beyond her years, she isn't your typical 3 year old in a lot of ways.Kiah adores dreads from the first photo she saw she loved them and I asked if thats what she wanted she said yes. I realize it may be hard for some to imagine but if you met her it wouldn't be hard to understand these words at all and in fact you probably couldn't imagine her any other way. She sing songs about her dreads and talks to mine. It's in her nature. It isn't a cool trend to her or me. It's about freedom.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Thank you :) recoverytrouble said:
This is beautiful Island Mamma:D she's adorable too by the way.

Island Mamma said:
She is very verbal and vocal and expresses herself well beyond her years, she isn't your typical 3 year old in a lot of ways. Kiah adores dreads from the first photo she saw she loved them and I asked if thats what she wanted she said yes. I realize it may be hard for some to imagine but if you met her it wouldn't be hard to understand these words at all and in fact you probably couldn't imagine her any other way.

She sing songs about her dreads and talks to mine. It's in her nature. It isn't a cool trend to her or me. It's about freedom.

Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
I asked myself that question because my daughter imitates almost everything I do, she's 2 so when my dreads will be fully formed I figured she would probably want some too. All I can say is that I want my daughter to be as happy as she can be and be herself so I will do what I can to make that possible...that's the ideal of course putting it in practice that's an other story.
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
My wifes hair is like that. She wakes up in the morning and she separates her hair at the end of the day her hair is knotted up, I on the other hand I am almost the opposite I have very fine hair and I would brush my hair twice a week... after almost 6 weeks of no brushing I have my first knot. Island Mamma said:
When I say she is a natural born dread I really mean it.
Her hair literally dreads by the end of the day and over night and everyday I was forcing them out.45 minutes of pulling locks out of a small child's hair on a regular basis is a very dreadful (pardon the pun) occasion.She would shriek, shiver and protest in pain and beg for me to stop. So I did. She had the final say and so did her hair.My children are free spirits and with freedom comes strong will and believe me if she didn't want them they wouldn't be there.She is very verbal and vocal and expresses herself well beyond her years, she isn't your typical 3 year old in a lot of ways.Kiah adores dreads from the first photo she saw she loved them and I asked if thats what she wanted she said yes. I realize it may be hard for some to imagine but if you met her it wouldn't be hard to understand these words at all and in fact you probably couldn't imagine her any other way.She sing songs about her dreads and talks to mine. It's in her nature. It isn't a cool trend to her or me. It's about freedom.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form