Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Would you put Dreads on your Child?

Jammmeeesss(:
@jammmeeesss
14 years ago
34 posts
This Question would go out for people who would want children someday(:I thought about this question yesterday but unfortunately I'm not very suited to answer it, due to the Fact I haven't had dreads yet.If you know the matience and patience it requires would you put your child to have dreads as well? & how you respond to your child being bullied for being different from the rest of the kids, what would you say to encourage your child and motivate him for having dreads or for just being different?Mybe the Males would realte to this question a bit more since most of us would like our children to be like us in a way. If we played football, we want him to be in football, if we were tough and aggressive we would want our children to be as well. While Mothers tend to be more free spirited about how there children are ^_^ but then again everyone is different, And I am interested in what would YOU think or Do.EDIT: obviously this question would be implied towards a young child who is to young to decide for himself. Somone who you would still have to choose which kind of clothing he would wear because he would wear blue shorts with a green shirt and some red shoes to school :P but you get the picture.
updated by @jammmeeesss: 02/14/15 05:33:48AM
Matthew
@matthew
14 years ago
109 posts
Nice question!I've thought about this, because having little dreadheads would be super awesome!But dreads represent freedom to me at least. And forcing dreads on a child is just the same as forcing them to wear ridiculous attire.This is just my opinion again. I'm fully aware that there are users on this site with dreadded children, and they're the most gorgeous things EVER!! :DD!!Dreads, should be decided, until they themselves are able to make decisions, not forced.Again, my opinion.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
My daughter has dreads.She is three.I didn't put them there, they put themselves there.I was constantly conditioning and pulling her dreads out for about two years and I finally had the realization that I was forcing her to be someone/thing she is not. It wasn't a matter of picking a hair style for my kid, it picked her, she's a natural born dread.I decided to dread along with her not her along with me, if that makes sense.I let her hair be and it is SO BEAUTIFUL and she adores it, and so does everyone else.The maintenance we have is minimal. She is natural.I pick out lint (she wont wear a tam or wrap) separate and applying shea butter about once a week. Her hair gets washed whenever needed.As far as peoples ignorance well we'll deal with it if and when it comes.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
id let them dread from birth naturaly i wouldt give them dreads id let theyre hair dread itselfif they chose to no linger want dreads someday thats theyre choicei wouldnt care if they chose to comb or cutas for the teasing well id show them how kids are how they tease over everything if its not the hair its the name the size the way they dress or walk or talk id lit them know its just the way kids behave because they dont know how ti behave any better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
i think it's different for every parent/kid. My son is 6 and he wants dreads just like hos mom & dad. He's also goth the perfect hair for it. it's really curly and down to the middle of his back. The reason I haven't gone ahead with it is because I don't think he's really ready. One day he wants them the next day he's not sure so I decided he can wait and choose when he's older. I really couldn't care less how my kids want their hair. If they eventually want purple mohawks that's fine with me! lol! I just know how much they like having long hair, it's been long since they could grow it, and i think if he flip flops on it and cuts it he'll be bummed. Plus I think he's at a stage where he would care if all his friends picked on him for it! The constantly make comments about me and my hubbys dreads cause they've never seen any before.
Matthew
@matthew
14 years ago
109 posts
So if you decided to forfeit the combing, and conditioning knowing that dreads would occur, isn't that still making the decision for her?Please don't take this as a blow to you, or your child, I'm just trying to get it straight.Either way you're making a decision for your child, correct? I do indeed understand they can't make their own decisions at a young age, and any which way you put it, if you purposely do or don't do something, you're making a choice for them. Island Mamma said:
My daughter has dreads.

She is three.

I didn't put them there, they put themselves there.

I was constantly conditioning and pulling her dreads out for about two years and I finally had the realization that I was forcing her to be someone/thing she is not. It wasn't a matter of picking a hair style for my kid, it picked her, she's a natural born dread.
I decided to dread along with her not her along with me, if that makes sense.

I let her hair be and it is SO BEAUTIFUL and she adores it, and so does everyone else.

The maintenance we have is minimal. She is natural.

I pick out lint (she wont wear a tam or wrap) separate and applying shea butter about once a week. Her hair gets washed whenever needed.

As far as peoples ignorance well we'll deal with it if and when it comes.
Jammmeeesss(:
@jammmeeesss
14 years ago
34 posts
The term Force would be more likely applicable towards children 7yrs old and up.but Children who are 1-5, there world is the world their parents provide them with. Everything they know and feel is because of their parents. Here's an example.When I was a boy, My mother would never put belts on me... she would use Suspenders :D and to be honest I really don't remember not liking them or anything I just remember this one time I got stuck on the swing because my suspenders got caught on the swing I was on but never disliked them I just never thought about it.As I was growing, and getting into 1st or 2nd grade I notice I was the only one that would wear suspenders, and I would feel out of place and because of it I begged and begged my mom to buy me a couple of belts so I wouldnt feel out of place. Now that I'm 18 yrs old I look back and saw how cool and how much they made me stand out from everyone else(: so probbly since freshmen year I would occasionally wear suspenders in school and almost every time I go to church. with some slacks and a vest they always looks quite nice ;DWith that being said, Having suspenders when I was younger helped me realize I had more options on the way I dressed, so now that I'm older I choose to wear them myself.so would you apply that to dreads? Matthew said:
Nice question!

I've thought about this, because having little dreadheads would be super awesome!
But dreads represent freedom to me at least. And forcing dreads on a child is just the same as forcing them to wear ridiculous attire.

This is just my opinion again. I'm fully aware that there are users on this site with dreadded children, and they're the most gorgeous things EVER!! :DD!!

Dreads, should be decided, until they themselves are able to make decisions, not forced.
Again, my opinion.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I need to see suspender pics! I think suspenders rock personally and on a kid, too cute! I have to add that it is an unfortunate truth that children of African descent with dreads will get looked at in a completely different way than caucasian kids with dreads. Society will be much more accepting towards the African American children. Sad but true.

edit~not that i particularly care what society thinks but i think we need to be careful what situations we put our kids in before they may be ready to handle them effectively

recoverytrouble
@recoverytrouble
14 years ago
70 posts
My 7 year old son wants to be just like me and it makes my heart beam. However when he tells his mother he wants to get his ear pierced, or grow his hair long, or get a tattoo, or a motorbike... well she kinda let's me know subtley that she doesn't think my style is exactly how she wants him to look. I understand totally and accept it because as he grows older he will become better equipped to make his own decisions and I truly hope that he still wants to be like his dad. For the time being though I take a great sense of pride when I see him change from a t-shirt into a singlet if that's what I'm wearing on the weekends he stays with me. Kids are awesome and really are mini versions of their parents but you have to let them develop their own style as well.
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
in a word no...not until they can express that is wat they want i also do not cut my childrens hair until they can express wat kind of hairstyle they want which usually doesnt happen till about 4 or 5 and i have 7 kids
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form