Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Gardening

Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
Just wondering how many dreadies out there are actually gardening to help promote a more self sustainable living. This is my first year taking on a big garden by myself and I am overwhelmed with joy and a little bit of frustration. The weeds were really getting to me in the beginning, but I have kind of come to accept some of them as they are wild, just like dreads. What does everybody grow and where? I have a whole bunch of tomatoes, potatoes, corn, peppers, pumpkins, and other things scattered about, I have a pretty big garden. Just looking for some other garden stories!
updated by @alex-angam: 02/14/15 06:12:43AM
DON D
@don-d
14 years ago
18 posts
i live in a aptment with no backyard(grass any ways). recently made me a raised garden. 24 sq feet... not much but just perfect for me. i got some onions. jalepenos. some fresh herbs to cook with.. taters tomatoes bell peppers and strawberries. I love it so far. nothing beats walkin outside and pickin basil or thyme for a fresh fish dish ya know..
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
I would love to have a garden but I can't seem to keep any plants alive.. Not to mention I live in an apartment with just a tiny patio and not much room to put anything and their are kids always around that will break things ( throwing balls around and knocking things over etc).I am too busy I guess. or I over water... I want to look in to some gardening classes. My focus would be mainly food. I have attempted many times. even made a mini green house but the seeds never sprouted and the tomato plant I bought that was already growing died about 2 weeks after I got it. I def don't have a green thumb... mine is black.. :(
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
I kind of know how you feel, I always feel really bad when a plant dies, and tomatoes are a very delicate plant and must have the perfect conditions. It is pretty easy to start them inside in some peat moss, but you cant put them very deep, no deeper then a finger nail. Get a grow light and hang some things on the inside of your house! Izzy-licious said:
I would love to have a garden but I can't seem to keep any plants alive.. Not to mention I live in an apartment with just a tiny patio and not much room to put anything and their are kids always around that will break things ( throwing balls around and knocking things over etc).
I am too busy I guess. or I over water... I want to look in to some gardening classes. My focus would be mainly food. I have attempted many times. even made a mini green house but the seeds never sprouted and the tomato plant I bought that was already growing died about 2 weeks after I got it. I def don't have a green thumb... mine is black.. :(
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
theres a gardenining group all these type discussions belong in groups

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I'm growing small.Lemon Cucumbers, hot peppers, tomatoes, pumpkin and of course herbs and flowers, I love herbs.
Adam Ligster
@adam-ligster
14 years ago
22 posts
I live in Indiana and I always had a sweet corn shack growing up as a kid. and now I bought some property where I can have my own garden and I have all kinds of stuff growin out there. I have apples, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, rasberries, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, celery, lettuce, zuccini, giant watermelon, carrots, green beans, peas, broccoli, jalapenos, yellow peppers, green peppers, mild peppers and a huge lot of sweet corn. its the best around, at least thats always what people have been sayin for years... and thats about it I think... i might have missed one or two. but I'm hoping to perfect my organic ways here this year and then host an organic stand out by the road next year
Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
14 years ago
34 posts
At my mom's house we have a HUGE garden with everything, tomatoes, a LOT of spinach, too many pumpkins, potatoes, and just recently I planted some peas that my science class had been watching grow. At my dad's we have a mulberry tree which is great, a plum tree and a pepper garden. I'm trying to grow some moss in the shade under some trees too!
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Island Mamma said:
Just wanted to bring up a point about your seeds and plantlings.Make sure you seek out heritage/heirloom seeds and plants because they are not genetically modified and you can yield the seeds from your harvest.GMO seeds and plants, which make up at least 90-95% of available seeds and plants are very chemically laden and also modified to NOT produce from seed the following year. Yep the bastards have patented life (old news but still new news for many) We are exsposed to such a small variety of vegetation, I am growing lemon cukes right now, they are round and yellow, and natural, I also am growing purple tomatoes with brownish streaks. who knew?So ya buy heirloom/heritage and collect your seeds, you'll be healthier and happier for it.
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
I got really lucky this year and had a bunch of heirloom seeds gifted to me, and we also have a lot of corn and pumpkins that pop up in random spots because some seeds got tilled in. We call them volunteers, and they are really some of the strongest plants in the garden :) Island Mamma said:
Just wanted to bring up a point about your seeds and plantlings.

Make sure you seek out heritage/heirloom seeds and plants because they are not genetically modified and you can yield the seeds from your harvest.

GMO seeds and plants, which make up at least 90-95% of available seeds and plants are very chemically laden and also modified to NOT produce from seed the following year. Yep the bastards have patented life (old news but still new news for many)

So ya buy heirloom/heritage and collect your seeds, you'll be healthier and happier for it.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form