Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

O.K. - I live in a REALLY small town LOL!!!

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Alright everyone - just had to share this because after I got home today, it just struck me as SO funny - thought someone else might get a laugh out of it. THIS is how small town we are...Went to the local health food store to pick up some shampoo and was trying to make a decision for myself and the rest of the family (we have different hair needs - obviously). One of the women that works there asked me if I needed help and I explained what I was doing, made a decision and then she asked me if I used conditioner. I replied "no, since I am dreading my hair, I don't use it." She replies "what?" I repeat my answer and she again replies "what?" I repeat myself and she replies "You're doing WHAT to your hair?" I finally stop what I am doing, look her square in the eyes and say "MY HAIR IS DREADING!!!" Blank stare from her for a minute and then "Your hair is dread - what???" I then tell her "I AM DREADING MY HAIR - YOU KNOW, DREADLOCKS??" By this time I am speaking S-L-O-W-L-Y and using wild hand movements like an idiot and I tell her - "I WASH MY HAIR - I JUST DON'T USE CONDITIONER!!!" Another totally confused stare, while she processes - then the lightbulb "OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!" The she quickly turns around and walks away. I noticed upon checkout that she tried unsuccessfully not to stare at my hair.I was in a hurry so didn't give it much thought, but as soon as I got home and had a chance to replay the incident in my head, I busted out laughing!! She had absolutely no clue what I was talking about and I am probably the first person she has even seen with hair like this in this area. She probably REALLY thought I could use some conditioner to tame this mess!!!! LOL!!!
updated by @midread: 02/05/18 01:12:32PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
haha when traveling we broke down in thomasville nc was me and 5 or 6 others 1 guy had earlobes stretched so har he could out his arm through and hed hang car batteries skateboards and suitcases hrom his ears anyways we were for sure a bunch of freaks like this town had never seen. day 1 not a single person walked there anywhere so we were always the only ones in the entire town youd see on the street or sidewalk..stares like u wouldnt believe.. day 2 we stop in the library for an hour to make phone calls when we leave a cop stops us and tells us he had over 20 calls in the last hour because noone knew where we were (he then bought us all hoafgies beer and a carton of cigs)day 3 walking up a quiey secluded back road a van pulls over calls over 1 of us and starts whispering to him after the van leaves the dude who he whispered to tells us the van dude wazs warning us there were people with guns out looking for us20 minutes later decided to abandon outr broke down van and get the hell outta town..small towns can be scary..and that town wasnt even all that small..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Guns?? - Yikes!! Well, I guess my town is not THAT small. Maybe I should say they are so conservative they don't know what dreads are. NOBODY here has them!!! Maybe that is why I get so many wierd looks about my hair. They just don't know what this mess is!!! LOL! They are probably wondering "Why doesn't that girl just comb her hair????" Since I am really conservative otherwise (no visible tattoos or piercings), they probably just don't get it.I did see a really nice set of dreadlocks on an African-American girl in the store the other day, but that is the only one - and I don't think people in this area would notice on an African-American person as much as they would on a white person. You just don't see it here!!!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
like how u added vissibleso u giot secret tats and peircings huh?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
O.K., O.K., down boy!!! LOL!! No secret piercings anymore. The most "hush-hush" one I had was a navel piercing removed after I had my first baby - it irritated me when I held him on my hip and he slung his legs around my waist. (I know - MAJOR nasty right???) Ha-Ha! I am not really into piercings - except I would like a little nose ring. I prefer "longer term" pain in the form of tattoos LOL! My secret personal indulgence is watching "LA Ink" on television. I am fascinated by tattoo art. I do have a couple of strategically placed tattos that are only visible to those most priveledged - or if you have an ankle "thang". Nobody really notices that one. Have been considering maybe adding something new "somewhere" for the 20 year wedding anniversary coming up in November, but again, that would be "private" and "for your eyes only". I don't like to advertise. You know SE, I told you I like to be the girl in the dark corner... mwahahaha!
Lindsay3
@lindsay3
14 years ago
32 posts
LOL. I have a lot of people ask why I am ruining my hair but they know what dreads are in SOME ways. I try to gently remind my hair is not ruined all hair would dread naturally if people would let it and I love it this way :)
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I am in a small town as well...as far as guns go, I've got em, haha.But no one has said anything about my hair...Although I do get that remark, "how old are you?" 20..."oh...you don't look it."I never got that comment when I had a shaved head. =\
Lindsay3
@lindsay3
14 years ago
32 posts
I get that I look about 13-16 almost every single day I guess I will look great at 50 :) GreyGargoyle said:
I am in a small town as well...as far as guns go, I've got em, haha.
But no one has said anything about my hair...

Although I do get that remark, "how old are you?" 20..."oh...you don't look it."
I never got that comment when I had a shaved head. =\
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I live in a hamlet with about 750-1200 residence, we have part timers here.Most know what dreads are, they aren't uncommon on around the Islands and there is another dready here thats been around quite a few years.
sadangel777
@sadangel777
14 years ago
68 posts
LOLOL!!! Too funny!
updated by @sadangel777: 07/23/15 05:01:55PM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form