Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Cutting Locks

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Just curious... Can you trim dreadlocks??? Have you heard of anybody doing this??? Do they come untangled??? Just wondered if you had some kind of damage or something and had to cut off some length or something,,, what happens????
updated by @midread: 02/14/15 02:53:58AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u can i wouldnt everi got damage from being stepped on etc..i just wait for em to fall offi dunno bout unraveling

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Maybe a little at the tips....I don't think it should be a problem. My dreads are still too short for me to consider cutting any length so I don't know.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
when asked why i never cut my hair i always say im allergic to scissorsbeen saying that so long i might have a psychosomatic reaction if i did tryso lil afraid that if i cut i might die..lol

--
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I remember doing this about 2-3days after I started mine because i my curls were still there and they were very long, so my Gf at the time trimmed them, man I wish I didn't do that, but at the time i thought they would never lock,they did /facepalm
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
So everyone just lets them grow and grow and grow and grow??? Interesting! I was curious because most of the people on here don't have really super long dreads like SE. So I wondered if it was because they just haven't had them that long or they maintain them somehow. I realize they do shrink when they tighten, but I don't know how much that affects length. Iain said:
I remember doing this about 2-3days after I started mine because i my curls were still there and they were very long, so my Gf at the time trimmed them, man I wish I didn't do that, but at the time i thought they would never lock,
they did /facepalm
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
theres alot fairly long which are 15 years or older recently 1 joined with 20 year old locks but she had cut off most of the lengthlook at inity 1's dreads derek has grown his since a year after i started mine (think they were just around his shoulders when we met)most ppl do just let em grow and growbut i truly think the reason why u see most dreads short is due to sites like dreadheadhq and knottyboy that make dreads temporary so most get cut in 3 years and started overso even many ppl my age maybe on theyre 3rd or 4th sets and only a year or 3 into the current dread journeyid wager most long dreads u see come from before those sites existed

--
K E A Z
@k-e-a-z
14 years ago
58 posts
ya u can trim them i known this woman who trimed them like every coupple months she liked her locks short. But i woudent trim mines lol keep em growing!
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Yeah, it would look funny with the bottoms just chopped straight off LOL! Maybe you would have to cut and then pick the ends out or something - ha-ha! I'm sure I won't have to worry about anything like that for a really long time. Sister Rags said:
I don't think mature dreads will unravel if you cut them, but I don't see how you could cut them...I can't get an image of that in my mind. I mean, it would look weird to just chop the dreads off, I think. Maybe you could shape each dread, using scissors, into a tip, but...... ???

Mine are between ear & shoulder length just because my hair started out 19 months ago at shoulder length, and I'm guessing that a lot of people here have the same situation.
ourdub
@ourdub
14 years ago
47 posts
ive cut some of mine that were giving me probs - and it did look ~really~ akward/unnatural to have such a flat tip. i tried shaping tips w/ scissors to round them a bit - that looked just as akward. the best luck ive had for shortening to keep it looking fairly natural is by teasing with a razor.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form