Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dealing with the negativity...

Bunn
@harleyjunkin
6 years ago
47 posts

As the title suggests, I am dealing with the harsh backlash that is coming with my decision to grow dreads. How do people deal with this? 

Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
My parents were very against me twisting my hair for dreads. They were pretty rude about it. I did it anyway. I'm 2 months in and my dad decided he would dread his hair if my mother would let him.

Anyway, that's the worst of what I've dealt with, but I blew it off. I'm used to getting negativity for all kinds of things as I hold a lot of unpopular opinions. I had to quit caring what people think a long time ago. I'm gonna do me, and if you don't like it you can kick rocks.

General you, not you specifically.

I'm sorry you're dealing with negativity.☹
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
Basically what Bazooka said. Best just to ignore people, how shallow do they have to be to judge someone by their hair?

As long as you're happy that's all that matters.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
AquaGuy
@aquaguy
6 years ago
62 posts

Some people find it easier than others, but you kind of have to just learn to accept thst people will always have an opinion about something and don’t take things to heart. 

Peace.

--
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Choose love over hate.

World peace is possible, give peace a chance.
Bunn
@harleyjunkin
6 years ago
47 posts

That is the thing. I am trying, but people keep pointing out that my life is going to be harder. I'm currently unemployed (because mental health), but have been looking for a job.

AquaGuy
@aquaguy
6 years ago
62 posts

It gets easier with pracitse :)

Talking specifically about dreadlocks, (although this can apply to anything really like a sort of base concept) a lot of people have negative opinions about the people who have them for numerous different reasons, mainly about cleanliness and “looking  untidy/scruffy”, and not going with the crowd, etc, but as long as you or anyone is happy with their hair, no matter what it looks like, it’s fine.

Personally, I don’t believe beauty is superficial and looks don’t matter a great deal, if at all, and that eveyrone is beautiful in their own way. That’s only me personally, of course, but ai guess the point of what I wanted to say is everyone likes something/someone, we don’t all like the same things but a lot of people find it difficult to understand that people like things they don’t.

--
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Choose love over hate.

World peace is possible, give peace a chance.
Bunn
@harleyjunkin
6 years ago
47 posts

The issue that has been brought up is cultural appropriation and issues finding and keeping a job. I can see the point, but I run my own blooming business, and I just never pictured myself holding down a 9-5 job anyways.

lopenator
@lopenator
6 years ago
75 posts

You'll get use to it. I know a lady with beautiful dreads down to her waist who is a scientist at a laboratory in NASA. Free-formed dreads by the way.

Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
Oh THAT kind of negativity.🙄 You should ask what culture it is you're appropriating, and whether they're claiming to know your culture. Better yet, since ANY hair left unbrushed will lock, how is hair's natural state specific to any culture? I swear people look for new reasons to be offended.
LilMojoMoe
@lilmojomoe
6 years ago
32 posts

The NASA lady has cut her dreads after 12 years I believe she was on Reddit a while back.

--
Signed with Love, Jolly! May my journey of finding myself inspire you to search for yourself! FROM FLORIDA WITH CARE!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form