Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Before I get started

Pink Ninja
@pink-ninja
6 years ago
15 posts

So I am new here and I have been wanting to dread my hair for a long time now. I have done research and thought I new what I wanted to do and when I came across this forum everything seemed to change.
I’m not going to someone I’m doing them myself. I’m not doing the tnr but I was going to do the sectioning and backcomb (which now through here I read not to do). So now I’m leaning towards the neglect and let them do their own thing. And I have frizzy natural curly hair and I don’t mind waiting because I’ve lived with frizzy hair my whole life. So once the knots start and form I know I need to pull them apart if more than one starts to join. I am wanting my dreads to be the size or a sharpie no bigger and not much smaller. I’m am not sure what to do with the new growth. So in doing that I am going to use dr Bonner’s peppermint soap as my shampoo. I know to just use the shampoo on my scalp only. Now I have seen some people use tea tree oil and rosemary oil in a spray for itchy or dandruff hair. As well as make a refresh spray with essential oil.
Now I have seen and read of people doing the crochet method to pull in the frizz and new growth and I have also read that on the new growth if you crochet them too tight you will break the roots and the dread will fall out. So I’m not doing that now. So hopefully I have everything right and I believe I have posted all the questions I have below. If I have anymore questions I will definitely post them.

Questions:
1. When showering but not washing your dreads do you put them up or in a cap so they don’t get wet?
2. When doing the neglect do I need to put my hair up when sleeping?
3. Do I need to palm roll the neglected dreads?
4. Do I leave my new growth and let it do it’s own thing?
5. When doing the neglect do I wash my hair when I feel it needs it instead of everyday or every other day?
6. Now for the oil does it matter if I use it straight oil and massage the scalp or can I make spray or do both?
7. Do you use oil everyday or once a week?
8. Do you use the refresh spray everyday or as you need?
9. What happens if I get my dreads wet?

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts

Hey and welcome. You've definitely done yourself a favour by finding this site before you've got started.

1. Sometimes I tie my hair up and sometimes I let it get wet. From what I can tell getting wet doesn't actually stop it dreading you just have to make sure it's properly dried afterwards. In fact I probably wouldn't want to go 2 full days without atleast rinsing it but then my hair tends to get greasy pretty quickly.

2. Ideally you don't want to tie your hair up at all and if you do make sure it is only loose. Which is a pain in the arse because when I do my hair band falls out constantly and I have to keep redoing it. As for sleeping it's apparently the best time for your hair to dread due to friction on your pillow so you really want it left down in bed.

3. Palm rolling does nothing. Pretend you've never heard of it.

4. Leave it all alone and let it do it's thing.

5. I started off washing my hair once a week but then went to twice a week and now do it every 2-3 days depending on when I remember but I don't go over 3 days.

6. I can't comment because I've never used oil.

7. Same thing.

8. Don't use that either.

9. If they get wet they might seem to get a bit messy or separate but as long as you dry them well they'll be fine. Just don't rub your head with a towel like you usually would. Personally I shake mine off before I get out of the shower to get rid of excess water and then get out and jus hold a towel against my head for about 10 seconds. Then I get the blow dryer on it but not until it's bone dry. And then just let it air dry. It's worth making sure you have enough time to dry it before getting it wet. Sleeping with wet dreads isn't a good idea.

As for the neglect method I think you've definitely gone the correct route. I started with crochet and then evebtually combed them out and tried self sectioning and twist and rip but I then undid them all and am now going natural. You can see my timeline here: https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/member-journals-and-timelines/115651/females-timeline

As your hair is already curly it should begin to separate and dread pretty quickly. If I was you I would take some pics of your hair now before you've started and then start your own timeline and update it as you go along. That way you can actually look back and see the progress you have made.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome and whew glad you found us!

ok 

1. i typically let my hair/scalp decide when i need a shower and pretty much always wash my hair when i shower. but if im not then i just try not to soak it
  2. nope sleeping is when it dreads most
  3. palm rollings pintless in any dreads
  4. it will be loose for many months then take care of itself. no need to do anything about new growth
  5. wash whenever you feel you need to
  6. ok bronners isn't the best, especially in hard water if you have hard water the bars might be better but www.dreadlockshampoo.com is best peppermint only cools itches teatree rosemary helps dandruff (so no itches) if you use a shampoo with them in it no need for oils but when i do use oils i put some in water pour over my head wait a few min then 1/2 rinse just to spread it through
  7. i usualy do after a wash  and rinse as a final rinse
  8. refresh spray? don't know what that is
  9. dreads love to get wet   that helps them dread  just make sure they get dry after

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Pink Ninja
@pink-ninja
6 years ago
15 posts
Thank you both for taking the time to read this and answer my questions. I really appreciate it.
Yes we have hard water but will be getting a whole house filter soon. I will look into the bars. I am wanting to find or make a shampoo that has peppermint and tea tree in it. Any suggestions?
Pink Ninja
@pink-ninja
6 years ago
15 posts
I looked at the bars and found 2 I’m leaning towards so please disregard my post above this one.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

peppermint just burns your eyes 

if you meant dreadlockshampoo.com use the liquid for the 1st year and it will dread a lot faster switch to the bars when more mature

--
cole
@cole
6 years ago
7 posts

Hi guys its good to be here I've been looking forward to get a dread forum where i can share my dread journey progress and likewise share and get ideas with others.
I just started my dreadjourney

I'll be dropping series of videos in my channel. subscribe ,like and share guys, i'll do same.

#staylock

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
6 years ago
393 posts

Pink Ninja:
Questions
1. When showering but not washing your dreads do you put them up or in a cap so they don’t get wet?
2. When doing the neglect do I need to put my hair up when sleeping?
3. Do I need to palm roll the neglected dreads?
4. Do I leave my new growth and let it do it’s own thing?
5. When doing the neglect do I wash my hair when I feel it needs it instead of everyday or every other day?
6. Now for the oil does it matter if I use it straight oil and massage the scalp or can I make spray or do both?
7. Do you use oil everyday or once a week?
8. Do you use the refresh spray everyday or as you need?
9. What happens if I get my dreads wet?

My answers:

1. If I am not going to wash my hair, I let my hair get wet. 

2. You do not have to put your hair up. I drape the length of my hair over the back of my pillow so that I do not lay down it.

3. No. Just pull your sections of hair away from each other.

4. New growth comes out of your scalp and will do it's own thing anyway. The formation of a dreadlock depends on your natural hair growth cycle and new tangles.  Seriously a dreadlock can be made with as few as four or five individual hair follicles. In some social circles... thanks to all of the tangles created by the wind, sections of "Wind blown" hair is a dreadlock.

5. Just wash your hair on a regular basis.

If you wish, you can wash less often and your scalp will gradually produce less sebum(oil). You can start washing your hair less often with washing your hair every other day. The "Baking soda and water" mixture will remove some excess oil on days you do not wash your hair and later become the base of a "Shampoo" and "Conditioner."

6. I do not use oils except for a "carrier oil" and the essentials oils in the "shampoo" I mix together. I wash my hair at least twice week.

7. No. (See answer 6)

8. No. (See answer 6)

9. Your hair gets wet when your dreadlocks get wet.  Drying dreadlocks is not difficult... Just wring out excess water and let your hair dry. If you are in a rush, towel drying or blow drying will help.

updated by @goldeneagle: 03/16/18 10:05:55PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

good to see ya @goldeneagle

actualy i had 1 dread that was 1 mm x 2 mm  and that was 3 even tinier dreads congoed

yea as few as 1/2 a dozen hairs

it got to be 4 feet long b4 it somehow got lost (maybe sucked in as i let a lot congo) 

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form