So I am new here and I have been wanting to dread my hair for a long time now. I have done research and thought I new what I wanted to do and when I came across this forum everything seemed to change.
I’m not going to someone I’m doing them myself. I’m not doing the tnr but I was going to do the sectioning and backcomb (which now through here I read not to do). So now I’m leaning towards the neglect and let them do their own thing. And I have frizzy natural curly hair and I don’t mind waiting because I’ve lived with frizzy hair my whole life. So once the knots start and form I know I need to pull them apart if more than one starts to join. I am wanting my dreads to be the size or a sharpie no bigger and not much smaller. I’m am not sure what to do with the new growth. So in doing that I am going to use dr Bonner’s peppermint soap as my shampoo. I know to just use the shampoo on my scalp only. Now I have seen some people use tea tree oil and rosemary oil in a spray for itchy or dandruff hair. As well as make a refresh spray with essential oil.
Now I have seen and read of people doing the crochet method to pull in the frizz and new growth and I have also read that on the new growth if you crochet them too tight you will break the roots and the dread will fall out. So I’m not doing that now. So hopefully I have everything right and I believe I have posted all the questions I have below. If I have anymore questions I will definitely post them.
1. When showering but not washing your dreads do you put them up or in a cap so they don’t get wet?
2. When doing the neglect do I need to put my hair up when sleeping?
3. Do I need to palm roll the neglected dreads?
4. Do I leave my new growth and let it do it’s own thing?
5. When doing the neglect do I wash my hair when I feel it needs it instead of everyday or every other day?
6. Now for the oil does it matter if I use it straight oil and massage the scalp or can I make spray or do both?
7. Do you use oil everyday or once a week?
8. Do you use the refresh spray everyday or as you need?
9. What happens if I get my dreads wet?