Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how does a dread become the size of the root?

acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

Lets start this off with what i understand. I have a dread that is 1.5" thick by 1" long at the root however the 9 month old dread coming out of it is only has a circumference of 1.5". According to a dread becomes the root size it will grow to 4" thick.. So I'm trying to understand how a dread becomes the size of the root.. because it makes no sense to me hair has space in-between and when it knots up the hairs then close that gap. However the only possibility i understand of it growing as big as or bigger then the root is because it sheds hair into the dread then it replaced by hair growing from the root.

acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

Here maybe this will explain it better. Green = section size Blue = dread size Yellow = how big dread would be if size of the root.img

updated by @acidburn: 06/12/16 01:26:54PM
acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

So I asked this on another forum and I was told that No dreads do not become the size of the section they are a fraction the size of it. However the loose hair from the section can be bigger or smaller then the section but when it knots up it becomes smaller.correct me if this is wrong....

updated by @acidburn: 06/08/16 09:33:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

it only is a fraction of the size if you twist or interlock or crochet

otherwise its  roughly about the section size

its pretty simple when you say hair has a space between them this is true 1/10th of 1 mm on average (10 hairs per mm is average hair thickness) but remember dreads  knot up, tighten and shrink

in a healthy dread ..unless the hairs really thin the section size and dread size will be about the same. even in very thin fine hair  its only a fraction smaller like 10-25% (that's a rough guess)

that's because dreads thicken up..alot while they shrink

that drawing the dread size since your hairs not real thick  the yellow circle would be just inside the green

look up chevelle trant on here.. hers started out waist length and most thinner then a pencil

when they dreaded they shrunk to above her shoulders, and got really fat

its not the hairs falling out that makes them thicken.. you lose about 120 hairs a day but it takes 7 years for every hair to fall out and be replenished

so since your drawing has a dread about 1/3 the size of the section it would take 21 years for fallen out hairs to triple the thickness

instead its just shrinking thickening and more or less conforming to the section size unless you do something that forces them to be thinner by over tightening them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

So i looked her up they were medium to begin with but if u look closely they congoed into fatties.
So here is a picture of said dread the circumference is the total width of the section.. is it going to get bigger.. the wife tells me to stop worrying its as big as its going to get but i keep hearing this and it makes me want to chop it off.. its only been backcombed no interlocking or crochet its going to be 10mo old on the 20th..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

that is pretty big!

--
acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

It's only 2mm wide about as wide as your finger but its flat so its not thick

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

that 1 and the 1 next toi it both look pretty thick to me

but a couple fatties are fine if you take care of them well

--
acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

that 1 and the 1 next toi it both look pretty thick to me

but a couple fatties are fine if you take care of them well

Yeah the whole back of my head pretty much is the same size there are 9 back there that size and one loner that has a section about 1mm sq and has a dread as thick as a tooth pick

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well at least its not 9 for the whole head

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form