Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinking about shaving my head

acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts
So long story short my hair is roughly 2 years and 9 months old the first 2 years I never washed just used water smoked lots of marijuana and drank occasionally then I backcombed and started dreads only a few stayed but I then went neglect. I quit smoking marijuana and don't drink anymore and I just feel there is negative energy trapped in my hair and that shaving would remove that. Is this crazy to think? Also after shaving I'd just go neglect again and never comb just separate.
updated by @acidburn: 06/05/16 01:46:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

many native tribes shave the head in times of mourning as a way of letting go of the past

its true hair contains a chemical record of all your experiences, dreads, connect all those experiences together  wich is really what wisdom is, the ability to see the connections between everything you experienced

so on 1 hand your dreads help you see why you were that way, why you changed to how you are now etc

but if that was a time of profound suffering separating from it and starting fresh can free you too

either way you lose some connection to that past that shaped who you are

in some cases this is nesacary  especialy if that past was traumatizing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
8 years ago
156 posts

Hey Acidburn!

This is my 3rd or 4th try to grow dreads over the past 15 years maybe. I tried backcombing, twist and rip before, this time all natural. Before, i was out for a certain look and my self esteem wasn't very high and i was'nt shure if i do the right thing. This time it is different. I don't really care as much, because i believe it will turn out in a way i feel comfortable with. So in my case i feel that now its the moment to go for it because i feel mentally strong and i am free of a lot of self doubts, which was'nt close like this in the trys before...

So maybe you have started your set in a time which was not that perfect to go for it? I hope you pick the right descision for you and the situation you are in, and i also hope you don't need as many trys i have needed (the longest was like 12 month). Did you talk to your wife about your thoughts? Maybe she should get involved and support you in your descision? You have been patient for almost 3 years and that is a long time. If you would shave your head cleannow, it will take like another year or so to get the length back for locking. But on the other hand, time is not everything... What is 1 year comparend to decades of having a good time with locs?!

It would be sad if you would lose your passion for dreads because of another waiting period,but maybe its helpful to start all over... I hope everything will turn out positive for you, no matter what you do in the future! Jah bless!

acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

I mentioned it to the wife earlier expecting her to be like NO! but she had a evil grin like lets shave it but said i better keep my beard! possibly its reverse psychology? I haven't had locks for the 3 years the first 2 was just growing hair the next 9 months was locking it. Iv always been interested with hair and wanting super long hair and when brushing i would actually save the shed hairs that's when i started thinking about dreads to keep the shed hair and grow it past terminal length. I understand its going to take a long time to grow back and even longer for it to lock up but that could be a good learning lesson. I'm having a hard time shaving it now that iv talked about it! it almost makes me want to cry! but at the same time i shouldn't be this attached to something.

updated by @acidburn: 06/05/16 05:11:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

dread loss depression is very real very profound

a good friend had a very high fever from the flu.. without knowing what he was doing he chopped offhis dreads, when  he recovered and saw what hed done he was suicidal depressed till he could grow them back again

i know when i cut my 1st set i spent a year depressed and feeling a profound loss of self

i would not do it without thinking about itfor many months 1st

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

Good point i once shaved off my beard that was a year old and I was depressed for the next year! So the same might happen with my head hair

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
8 years ago
156 posts

Yes, i know this depressed feeling,too when i cut my long hair off while i was confused because my girlfriend had left me. But the difference is doing it

for a good reason and thoughtful or doing it out of a mood or a bad mind state... 

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form