Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinning hair and dreads.

Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
10 years ago
57 posts

I am 23 and I am losing hair on the top of my head ( young I know...damn genetics), I am really wanting to regrow my hair and dreads here pretty soon. The thing is my hair has thinned since I had them a few years back. Does anyone else have thinning/balding problems and have dreads? I am just curious to how it will turn out with my hair problem. I guess all in all it doesn't really matter I should just do it while I still have the hair.

updated by @jesse-parker: 02/14/15 02:28:20AM
Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

I share your pain. I have thin hair on top as well. I am so glad I went ahead and let my hair dread. I think it is important to not make the dreads too thick. I did gently backcomb the dreads on top.I needed them to be sectioned to hide the thin spots. Once I placed them where they could hide the scalp, I just let them do there thing. Washed with Vicki's soap and kept separated.So far, because I kept them small, the number of them act as barriers to project fullness. But the most important thing is do not cheat yourself out of having dreads. You are more than your hair, and even some dreads are better than no dreads.They will give you the confidence to be yourself. Actually, I was more self conscious of the thinness when my hair was straight.With dreads ,I feel beautiful!!! Journey on....

Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
10 years ago
57 posts

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I try to not care what others think and how I look etc. But its nice to hear something good from somewhere with the same problem ya know?!

Casey Fay said:

I share your pain. I have thin hair on top as well. I am so glad I went ahead and let my hair dread. I think it is important to not make the dreads too thick. I did gently backcomb the dreads on top.I needed them to be sectioned to hide the thin spots. Once I placed them where they could hide the scalp, I just let them do there thing. Washed with Vicki's soap and kept separated.So far, because I kept them small, the number of them act as barriers to project fullness. But the most important thing is do not cheat yourself out of having dreads. You are more than your hair, and even some dreads are better than no dreads.They will give you the confidence to be yourself. Actually, I was more self conscious of the thinness when my hair was straight.With dreads ,I feel beautiful!!! Journey on....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

freeform and do not do root maintenance that will make it worse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
10 years ago
57 posts
Tell my wife not to complain about my freeform locks xD I just can't get her to understand lol
Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

SE is totally right, freeform is the only way to go. But because of my thinning, it started to dread where the part was which was the thinnest area. If I could of, I would have let them form, I should have been even more gentle, and use TnR, but I had my sister and a friend separate and just backcomb enough to be able to see where they would lie. It helped me guide them to cover thin spots. I also learned taking care of my nutrition will help lesson losing more hair. Take Biotin, a very inexpensive vitiamin that strengthens hair and using lavender essential oil , just a few drops, rubbed into the weak area,will heal the scalp. It takes awhile, but it will help hair regrow in that area. I am so glad you will dread. You will never regret it.

Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
10 years ago
57 posts
I've heard biotin and keratin help but which should I take?
Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

I can only speak from experience. I take Biotin.I am vegan, so this is in the B vitamin category which helps hair ,skin and nails.

Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
10 years ago
57 posts
I will look into it. What does the price usually run?
Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

Anywhere from $5.00 at Rite Aid or Target to $8.00 at my Heath food store. Not that much for all the good it does. Lots of fruit, veggies and protein, especially lentils will help you over your lifetime.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form