Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

slow maturing... hair type?

Heaven  Caten
@heaven-caten
11 years ago
13 posts

So my dreads are about eleven months old and have been looping a little ever since like four months. However, recently, they have gone BONKERS. I mean, there are zig zags, loops, kinks, you name it in every one of my dreads and it is making the texture a little undesirably. Most people say that around this time is when they should start rounding out. Well Im just afraid that all these loops are going to be permanent. I know it's a part of the process, but the shrinking and everything has come so late in the game... that im freaking myself out. So, are they just maturing realllly slow? And also, is this typical for other people with naturally straight hair?

updated by @heaven-caten: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

From the timelines I've seen I think the mad loopy thing you've got going on now is the bit right before they mature and start rounding out and some in the back on the last photo look as if they're getting pretty close in some parts :D

Hitting this stage at 11 months sounds pretty average as usually between 1 and 2 years is quoted for dreads that "look like dreads" to the untrained eye!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

From someone who likes that loopy phase, they look just fine. Trust me, when they finally mature and flatten out, you may start to miss those loops and bumps. They will flatten out in time, but enjoy it while you have them. Some of the bumps may stay, but many will go away leaving only texturedremnantsof what they once were.

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

those are AWESOME DREADS. i love the way they look.

Pete
@pete
11 years ago
67 posts

Absolutely Gorgeus, i'm sorry if i spelled it wrong, but those dreads are so cool, your blessed to have them heh:)

Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
11 years ago
80 posts
Wow. I don't know why you would want those to change. Those are some really gorgeous dreads!
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Heaven, please have no worries on your process. Everyone dreads so differently in regards to time. Please look at my page to see photos of my process @11months 4days. Mine do not looks like dreads yet. The bottom tips are all crazy, many have 5 fingery wisps coming off the ends, so they are bushy, crazy, and still all loopy. I do have a few that are tight and look like dreads should, they are all hiding underneath, but the rest are still a mess. I do wish they were more mature by now, but hey, that is my journey and one day I will be rewarded with the dreads I envision. I am now over my year mark & there is really no changes, or maybe there is very little, from my 11 month photos. Dreads do take about 2 years to mature.

So yes, please don't worry, nothing is wrong, your journey, as with mine, is just taking longer. Hang in there and this time next year we will both be blessed with the dreads we wanted.

Just for the record, yours look like dreads, they do not have all the bush that I still have, your journey is beautiful!

Peace sister

Heaven  Caten
@heaven-caten
11 years ago
13 posts

thank you, all of you guys. These kind and encouraging words have set my heart at ease.

Heaven  Caten
@heaven-caten
11 years ago
13 posts

This is most likely going to be so true when they do round out :)

Baba Fats said:

From someone who likes that loopy phase, they look just fine. Trust me, when they finally mature and flatten out, you may start to miss those loops and bumps. They will flatten out in time, but enjoy it while you have them. Some of the bumps may stay, but many will go away leaving only texturedremnantsof what they once were.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form