Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Flat dreads

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

I've had my dreads for only half a week now, and they are already starting to form pretty well some places. Although, many of the dreads are getting flat. Have I done something wrong, or will they get rounder in time?

updated by @steenvick: 02/14/15 07:56:48AM
Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

And its not in the back, which is probably normal? But its on the sides of my head. They feel very tight to touch, but I've only washed them once since I got them, so it couldnt be any residue or something, could it?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Lenore. Are you washing 2-3 times a week? You should be, they will mature quicker. Doing backcombing or twist & rip is only like a guideline or blueprint of where you want the dreads. They will in no way keep the same appearance and when you first did them. They NEED to loosen in order to turn into mature dreads. Your sections will loosen, slowly shrink, loop and zig zag on their journey to dreads, This will happen all in the first year for you. Around the face line & behind the ears, they tend to slip out quicker due to our natural face oils, they take the longest to dread, and that's okay. They should not have been done very tight because they do need to loosen, so make sure you do not re-do or re-tighten anything or you will set your hair back to the beginning stages. Natural dreads take time, patience and are worry free, so hey, don't worry. Just wash & separate any sections trying to join together. Relax and enjoy your ride, Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Oh yes, what are you washing with since you think it might be residue making your dreads tight?

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

I used head and shoulder. I'm not sure, I just find it weird that they got tight so very fast, just after the first wash. ;o what do you think?

the Barrellady said:

Oh yes, what are you washing with since you think it might be residue making your dreads tight?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Lenore, Head & Shoulders is not good for dreads and will leave a reside in your hair, some even have built in conditioners which will make any knots slip out and you want them to stay in. The shampoo & bars from dreadlockshampoo.com is recommended, but I have not used it yet. At 11 months, I still use the baking soda wash, natural with no residue build up. I would lay in the tub for 1/2 hour and soak hair underwater to let all the head & shoulders get out of the backcombed dreads, then next wash use the baking soda. Do you know the recipe for BS?

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

Yes, I've written down the recipe. But I've only washed my dreads once, and they're only half a week old, do you think it could be anything in there? And I dont know where to get the ingredients, I live in norway and Im not sure if I can even get some of the ingredients.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I think it is the head and shoulders inside your dreads. Baking soda can be bought from any grocery store in the baking section. Make sure to purchase baking soda, not baking powder. I buy mine at a bulk food store, either way, it is cheap. If you use the apple cider vinegar the site recommends, that can also be purchased at the grocery store. Almost all shampoos will leave behind a residue, so they are a no no. Until you can afford to purchase dread soap or dread shampoo, I would stick to the baking soda. Good luck & remember to soak your head to get the Head & Shoulders out of the core of your dreads. Greetings to Norway

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

Thank you so, so much :) I will go right to the store later today and buy it!

the Barrellady said:

I think it is the head and shoulders inside your dreads. Baking soda can be bought from any grocery store in the baking section. Make sure to purchase baking soda , not baking powder . I buy mine at a bulk food store, either way, it is cheap. If you use the apple cider vinegar the site recommends, that can also be purchased at the grocery store. Almost all shampoos will leave behind a residue, so they are a no no. Until you can afford to purchase dread soap or dread shampoo, I would stick to the baking soda. Good luck & remember to soak your head to get the Head & Shoulders out of the core of your dreads. Greetings to Norway

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Your welcome, happy dreading :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form