Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What naturally causes dreads to become thick or thin?

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

I was wondering what naturallycauses dreads to be thin or thick . Of course many separate dreads or hairs to make thinner locks, but what actually causes dreads to be thick or thin?

Is it simply the thickness of one's hair? Or is it just how a person's hair happens to uniquely act while locking naturally? Just curious!

updated by @arrows-of-the-rainbow: 01/13/15 09:45:00PM
emilio gonzalez
@emilio-gonzalez
11 years ago
32 posts

its how big the section of hair is thats dreadedthat determains how thick or thin

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

its all in how u seperate some will section themselves thicker or thinner but if u dont seperte they all will become too thick

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

ok, and when has one's hair usually dreaded enough to separate? like 4-6 months or earlier or later? just wondering a rough estimate

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
A few weeks. When you pull a dread up and the dreads next to it lift up as well, then you gently pull them apart
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi there. The thickness of a dread is determined by the section of hair at the scalp. If that area is the size of a quarter, that that is what the mature dread will become. It is recommended that a dread should be no larger than a quarter/1", otherwise they take longer to dry, and will be heavier over the years, causing some tension on the scalp. When people do the twist & rip method, they will not stay the size they first look, as they will loosen, shrink and zig zag up and eventually become the thickness of scalp size. When first starting out, if you need to separate daily, then do so. There is a video on this site on how to do it. It does not take long for hairs to join over in another area, especially when we sleep on it, so keep up the separation, beads help with this. The thickness of a single strand of hair does not determine if your dreads will be thick or thin. Assorted sizes look wonderful and original. and natural.

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

ok thank you. I'm going the freeform route so I expect to have all different sizes of dreads; the more unique, the better! I'm going to check out that video, tho I don't have anything to separate just yet :) (only 2 weeks in)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form