Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

'Teasing' apart dreads, do or dont?

benjah2
@benjah2
11 years ago
4 posts

i recently started on my dreads about amonthagopurelyby just leaving my hair and going for the natural method. speaking to a person with dreads he said i needed gentally tease apart the forming dreads so they lock together tighter and form stronger dread. although this guy had pretty awesome dreads i find it hard to trust acompletestranger, any information on this would be muchappreciated.

updated by @benjah2: 01/13/15 09:43:47PM
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
I have never heard of that. Maybe he was talking about separating? Your natural dreads will tighten and mature when they want. It's as simple as that.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Did he mean use a crochet hook or some other tool?

If so, NEVER listen to him. Anything you do to "tighten" your locks will only damage them. Locks tighten on their own. Teasing them with a hook or needle rips hairs into smaller and smaller pieces. This makes your locks frizzier and weaker. If you do it enough, if can actually make them snap off in places. Sometimes they snap at the root if you tighten your roots. This ends up leaving you with a nice bright bald spot.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

hmm tease the congoing locks apart with your fingers instead. I have a super fattie called Bertha thats about to become two again, ive been thinking of taking bfore and after pics. But for a week i wrestled with this idea of combing it out because its too fat, and i thougt it was ONE solid dreads, not two. But after a week of toying (teasing) with my fingers, i FINALLY found a separate distinction of two separate locks att the roots. now i can work them apart slowly to damage it as little as possible. take your time, and have patience dont make any hasty decisions with your dreads.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Castaway, If you want to, you could make a video about separating locks that are that connected. The ones I made were more for separating before they got that congoed. We could always use one for your situation

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

right ok...i guess ill have to break out my dinosaur laptop lolz.

this lock is on my left side, the side lock almost dead last from the rest of your head, so i left it alone to let it start, lol left it alone to many months to long. but such is the way of locks and letting go ;)

benjah2
@benjah2
11 years ago
4 posts

glad you cleared that up for me, didnt think it was a good idea but it sorta made sense

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form