Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Palm Rolling Dreads?

xenon riven
@xenon-riven
11 years ago
2 posts

Can palm rolling dreads prevent them from locking ? Cause i have to palm roll my dreads to keep them neat for my job ...but when i don't palm roll them , there is a whole lot of long fuzzy hair Everrryywhere.

*My dreads are 8 months old .

updated by @xenon-riven: 01/13/15 09:43:19PM
Hannah Wright
@hannah-wright
11 years ago
22 posts
From what I've heard, palm rolling will not slow down the locking process. It may even speed it up a bit...however, if you do palm roll all the time you have to be VERY careful not to start at the very top if the hair or your roots will become weak and your dreads will form weak spots which could cause the dread to break and fall off all together.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no you dont have to palm roll them and you shouldnt be

just stop it

palm rolling does noth8ng helpful but can be very harmful if u overdo it

u never have to and never should

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Palm rolling without wax is pretty much pointless. The only reason palm rolling got so popular was because when you use wax, all of those frizzy hairs you palm roll down, get sucked into the wax.

Without wax, there's nothing for those hairs to get stuck to. They may lay flat for a few hours, but they just pop back up when you sleep, or wash.

That said, there is a way to palm roll and see progress. You have to do it A LOT and daily. But... This will do a ton of damage. Not only to your roots, but to the lock itself. The heat caused by the friction of rubbing your hands together does extreme damage. It rips the hairs in the body of your locks to shreds. This thins out your locks and weakens them.

So, moral of the story: palm rolling won't prevent locks from forming, but it will prevent mature locks from lasting a lifetime

xenon riven
@xenon-riven
11 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for the replies , After reading what you's have said i have decided just to leave my dreadlocks alone to dread up at their own speed . The only reason i kept palm rolling them was so i could wear them down at work , but it's no problem just tying them back and leaving them be :D .

They are already looking better after 2 days so i don't think it will take long for them to finish locking.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form