Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Water and Baking Soda/Salt

Andrew Ferrell
@andrew-ferrell
12 years ago
6 posts

I was just wondering if there was a good ratio of water to soda/salt that I should use or even how much water I should use. I've heard a lot of different ways of doing this, one person told me just to mist my hair with a spray bottle with salt in it and I've heard that I should do a full rinse with one of the mixtures. Just look for some opinions on here before I try any of them.

updated by @andrew-ferrell: 02/14/15 08:50:27AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I use an old 1 liter vitamin water bottle. I add 3-4 Tbls of BS, mix it up well, and add my oils. Pour it on and then wait 10 minutes to rinse. Sometimes I add sea salt, sometimes not. But if you do, only make it about 3.5% of the total volume. sea water is 3.5% salt. So you want it to be as close to sea water as you can get it. Then I use the same bottle and mix about 3 Tbls of ACV with the water. add my oils again, and pour it on. My locks are 6 years old and fully mature, so I can leave it on a few minutes. Bu for baby locks, just rinse it off right away. Also, for baby locks, only add about 1Tbls ACV to the mixture.

As for the salt spray. If you use it, don't leave it on your head for more than an hour or 2. Spray it on the same day you are going to wash your hair and wash soon afterwards. If you leave it on long term, it'll dry out your scalp and hair drastically and make you itch out of control.

Andrew Ferrell
@andrew-ferrell
12 years ago
6 posts

Alright, thank you! I'm about 2 week into natural dreads and a couple ok looking knots have popped up and just wanted to know the best way to keep them on their course :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Cool. Don't towel rub them. Don't mess with them too much. And you should be good to go

Andrew Ferrell
@andrew-ferrell
12 years ago
6 posts

I just started letting them air dry only

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's always the best way

Andrew Ferrell
@andrew-ferrell
12 years ago
6 posts

What oils do you use that you think would be helpful for me?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I always use teatree and rosemary. Teatree is great for scalp health and helps get rid of and prevents dandruff. Rosemary is good for promoting growth and thickness. I also add peppermint. Just a few drops. But it has great cooling and soothing effects. It'll help keep them from itching in between washes. Every once in a while I add Lavender or sage for aromatherapy. They have other benefits, but I don't need them for those.

Andrew Ferrell
@andrew-ferrell
12 years ago
6 posts

and you jsut add those too 1L of water mix rise and set for 10 minutes?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if your using the bs mix the recipe is 1/2 cup per 5 cups water make whatever u need to thouroughly drench your head the sea salt should be 3.5% of the water volume to equal the salinity of the ocean a lil less is fine wouldnt go stronger in fact it probly wont dissolve past that

acv earlyy on u use verey lil a spoonful or 2 in the sane 5 cups later after mature use the 1/2 cup and soak 3 min

oils

teatree is great for dandruff and kills bacteria

it also repells lice but wont kill them if u got em

rosemary excel;ent for dandruff helps hair growth and health

pepermint cools itches

lavender kills mold spores

jojoba conditions mature dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags