dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

what are some of the best/ worst questions that you get about your dreads

shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
lol tha tron said:
could you please edit your post? black crack neighborhood is very offensive. I won't take any offence in it if you were to edit it. I think you can understand why blessings.

updated by @shaun-saunders: 07/02/15 09:08:17AM
shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
i dont get questions usually i get statements like "those are fucken dirty" or "that hair is stupid" but most questions are like "are they dirty?" or "how do you get em?"
shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
tye-dye's and gettin high i like it Sam James said:
for me i always get the "its really cute but ..... how do you do it? do you wash it ever? i thought only african americans did that" & then since i wear tie dyes & have tattoos & dreads people are always eyeballing me like.

one time i was going on a hike with my friend, we walked past two people & i heard them say under their breath "their hiiiiiiigh" when i clearly was not!

i turned around & said, nah, but i really wish i was :P

i hate it >.<</body>
Kellye
@kellye
15 years ago
91 posts
I think the weirdest thing that i've ever been asked was by a fellow dready. He's some homeless man who lives around here, he's absolutly nutty having spoken to him a few times.Well one day he asked me if i used a mixture of something and egg whites in my hair. This compltly stunned my apparently he does this once every like 2-3 months or so. He has really nice dreads but he just leave it in them!! It blew my mind, eggs?!?I told him no and that i enjoy my breakfast to not be in my hair and contuined on my way. he then started to spin in circles again...ye he's that crazy
shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
omfg i get told that every fucking day but the one i get is theyll lay there nest in your hair then when they hatch you get biten the story i get is as follows " there was this guy i knew (everyone seems to know him) that had dreadlocks and he couldnt figure out why he was always sick so he went to the doctors and the doctor found he had redback babys in his hair and theyd been bitting his head and thats how hed been gettin sick"lol thats just fucken stupid Beksta said:
I dunno if this is just an aussie thing or what, but there's this urban myth that everyone seems to know and question dreadheads about over here....that if you get dreads, you'll get spiders, more specifically, Redbacks (US equiv. black widows) going in there and laying eggs and pretty soon you'll have a swarm of poisonous spiders in your locks. People are idiots.
Janice
@janice
13 years ago
49 posts

The only disdainful looks/comments I have received so far (only dreading 2 mo) have been from family or close friends who simply do not like the look and don't mind telling me so. I just laugh when they say it, because I would NEVER say anything like that to anyone, regardless! I just consider the source of the comment and don't give it any credence. I usually reply, "Awww so-and-so, I know you're just jealous!" hee hee

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

I love the "you used to be so pretty" or "your hair was always so beautiful" OH and the "you're just too lazy to brush your hair"....yes that's it...I take better care of myself and my hair now than I ever did when I was constantly brushing and breaking and tearing it out, and using so much product on it to "tame" what it really wanted to do, only to shove it up in a bun on the back of my head to forget about it lol

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
13 years ago
90 posts
I love the "why would you do that to your hair, it was so pretty". That's definitely my favorite lol. But I try to forgive their offensiveness immediately because my hair was pretty spectacular if I say so myself. Waist length, shiny and red. It was hard for people to not touch it. But... It's still spectacular, in a completely different way :) And they *still* wanna touch it. I figure if they are wanting to touch it they like it. Maybe they don't understand it but after they touch it and talk to me the next person with dreads they meet will have a completely different encounter ;)

Shanxon Lemasters said:

I love the "you used to be so pretty" or "your hair was always so beautiful" OH and the "you're just too lazy to brush your hair"....yes that's it...I take better care of myself and my hair now than I ever did when I was constantly brushing and breaking and tearing it out, and using so much product on it to "tame" what it really wanted to do, only to shove it up in a bun on the back of my head to forget about it lol

YUKON
@yukon
13 years ago
119 posts

my x gf had dreads for 14 years, i've had dreads 3 times...this is my final time and im not cutting them.

i've heard alot of stuff...

one of my favorites was at a concert and some douche bag w/ a gallon of gel in his spiked hair points and says "that's not a hair-do...that a hair-dont" he was the only one out of all his douch-bag friends that thought it was funny...they just looked at him like he was a retard...like i did.

"how do you wash it"?...that's always a good one

"do you have to braid your hair every day"?

"how many hours does it take to do your hair"?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Ha, I don't get many bad questions about them. I live in the city, so it's not an uncommon style around here. The other day at WAWA, I had a black lady come up to me and ask "I don't want to offend you or anything, but Why do white people locks their hair? I know why 'we' do (yes, she actually said we"), but why di white people? I just told her that everyone does it for their own reason. Even black people have them for different reasons. Then I told her mine, and she seemed satisfied

/ 6
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form