Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

White specks in roots

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but whatever lol.

My locks are a week old today and I noticed that I have white specks by the roots.

Dandruff maybe?

Is it suppose to be there?

Does it help my dreads lock or is it just going to stay there and look weird?

updated by @mamakittylove: 02/14/15 12:14:38PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

it could just be hair follicles, if you backcombed you will see more of them at first because you were tearing the hair out at the roots. over time you will get less of them & not see them as much. they don't hurt anything, & most ppl won't see them in your hair either (you only see them because you are looking closely really). I have them too, they were never noticeable on my blonde but with my hair red i notice them a lot, SE said not to worry about em

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

Alright cool, thanks! Yeah I have reddish hair too and I just noticed them when I was out in the sun and looked in a mirror.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

They could be hair follicles or dandruff... hard to say if I can't see what you are talking about. Also, white flakes are common for some people that use BS if it's not dissolved all the way.

What is your cleaning regimen?

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts
I'll try to get a picture in a few.So far since they are only a week old I have only washed them once and it was with that KnottyBoy Dread BS. I dunno how good that stuff is but I don't have the money to buy anything else right now (since I wasted money on the kit).I want to start doing the herbal rinse that I found on here when I can afford the ingredients.I'm so new at this...What do you recommend washing them with? & when?
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

It's really something you need to experiment with until you find what works for you. Water type and individual needs can dictate what rinse works better than others for the individual person.

The BS and ACV are cheap and easy. Baking Soda should ALWAYS be followed with Apple Cider Vinegar rinses. These are pretty basic and will clean your hair/scalp without even lathering. For more effective treatments you can add essential oils, such a s Rosemary (which is good for dandruff) and/or Tea Tree (which will repel lice and mold.) The essential oils will be the more expensive aspects but to get started with just BS/ACV it can be as little as 5 bucks to as high as 10 (depending one where you shop - I've seen baking soda at the dollar store before.)

I tried the above but it just wasn't for me. I am going the Dr. Bronners route. Aside from ordering through their website you can find Bronners at Trader Joes or Whole Foods (among others.) Since it's diluted to a 1/12 it's strength it's pretty cost effective and I've had the same bottle this whole time (2.5 months) and I am nowhere near needing to replace it.
I dilute this into a squeeze bottle with a tip and add essential oils. The bottle helps aim the shampoo at my scalp and once I've applied it I will rub lightly with my fingertips. I don't always follow this up with anything but once/wk I do an ACV rinse. and if I plan on going somewhere and wanting my locks to really smell nice I put some of the dreadlock shampoo from Bucks County Soap on and rinse it out.

The Dreadlocks Shampoo that's advertised on this site is pretty good. I love the smells and it works well. I picked up a few bottles to try it out. I do like the Bronner's better for making my scalp feel clean though and will be sticking with that, using the dreadlocks shampoo for it's lovely smells. When my locks are mature I will try one of their bars to see how I like that as well.
A lot of people use only the shampoo and really love it. This is also something that would be applied to the scalp and rubbed lightly and then rinsed and not necessary to follow with anything.

It's all a matter of what works for you. Where the Knotty Boy is concerned, I've never used it and I don't know the ingredients so it's hard to say if this is good or bad.

ALSO you should be washing your scalp 2 - 3 times per week. The clean hair dreads faster because natural oils can prevent locking. After your dreads mature it's better to go once/week.

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

So I get mylocks wet but only wash my scalp 2-3 times a week? I've heard from different sources that I shouldn't even get them wet AT ALL for 3 months...But that just sounds gross to me.

I havea Whole Foods right by my house, I'll definitely check out that Dr. Bronners and this website's shampoos. Thanks so much :)

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

You mean thisshampoo, right? ( http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=b1b86cd61c85dfcb553b638568b8c39d )

I don't want to buy the wrong thing :/

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Yup, that's the right shampoo. :) the dragon's blood smells really good.

Also, it's definitely better to keep your scalp clean. There are a couple of horror stories from people on this site who were told not to wash for months at a time and it did a lot of damage to their hair. Yikes!

Anyhoo, when you do wash them you just want to make sure they are fully dry by the end of the day. The only bad thing is mildew which can happen if you don't let them dry.

I wash mine on Mon/Wed/Fri and sometimes Sat or Sun as needed if I go hiking. If I go a week without washing then my scalp starts to get dry and hurt because I have sensitive skin.

Anyways, I'm off to go wash mine now. :) Good luck and I hope you find something that works well for you.

PS: Do you have hard water where you live? Sometimes hard water can be an issue with how well Bronner's rinses from the hair. To get around this some people pre-boil the water they dilute it with or some get a filter.
I can't remember if hard water plays a roll in the BS/ACV or if it's another water type... maybe someone can jump in and letcha know. :)
The shampoo it doesn't matter.

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts
I am probably going to take your word for it and buy the dragon blood shampoo (: thank you so much for all this information and help! Really appreciate it! How long do you go not washing your dreads? If I did my scalp mon, wed, Fri would I wash them that much too?
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form