Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can You Color/Dye Dreads?

Swayzee
@swayzee
12 years ago
3 posts

Hey, I'm new to dreading and have no idea what i'm doing. I have naturally dark hair and I don't like my hair being so dark. I have had my hair colored red for a 6+ years now. I have been dying to dread my hair for as long as I can remember and I'm finally taking the leap. My question is if I have my hair will I be able to color it? I've decided I'm going to go with the twist and rip method (if that matters) and I don't see how I would be able to get the dye out once i color it. Though, I do see people all the time with colored dreads, I just don't understand how. I saw once that there was a tea you could make with hibiscus tea and henna paprika and it made the hair red, but I can't find the instructions for that anymore. I was wondering if there were any color products specifically for coloring dreaded hair or if I am just going to have to color my hair back to my natural color and leave it alone.

Help?

updated by @swayzee: 01/13/15 09:29:41PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

its best to stick with your natural color u can dye them but there can be issues if u dye u waht to use something like henna you want to just cover the outside try not to get it deep inside and then rinse like u never rinsed before

bleaching dreads can be extra risky

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kat Richtman
@kat-richtman
12 years ago
1 posts

I have to agree. I have been using henna for a while now, even before my dreads. (I have baby ones) Henna is great for your hair anyways! Depending on your hair color and what natural ingredients you add to your henna mix you can get different colors! Make sure it's 100% natural henna though! Good luck! ^_^

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

henna is the best option but it is conditioning so careful if using on baby dreads. i use http://www.hennaforhair.com/ (but do wished i had left it natural) they give a lot of example mixes with pictures but it will always vary person to person

SoupDragon
@pip-herbst
12 years ago
23 posts

I find no problems with dying my dreads, as mine are obviously blue... but yeah I would wait a while until they mature so that the dye won't make them fall out, that happened to me when I first started my dreads. But you have to make sure you rinse EVERY bit of dye out!! But anyway... Dreaded hair is still hair so there's no reason why it wouldn't work :/ You just got to be careful! And henna is natural red dye :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form