Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Post beach/ocean dread care

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

So, I'm going to the beach on tuesday, and im sure going to take a cpl dips in the ocean, which i know will be great for my dreads but my question is: Do i leave my hair alone, salt water and all over night and wash it on wednesday morninglike a usually do? And when i wash it, i do my bs/acv wash, and i usually add sea salt to the bs soak, should i by pass the sea salt, or the soak all together and just rinse my hair and apply some jojoba and teatree oils?

Another question, ive been doing just the bs wash these last cpl weeks, and my progress has quickened, i figured i'd skip the acv since my dreads are only 8 months old, but after my hair dries up its a little dry and crunchy. Is this due to the lack of the acv wash, or am i not using enough essential oils on my bs soak( i use 1/2 cup of bs, 5 cups of water, 5 drops of teatree, 5 drops of jojoba, and 6 drops of jasmine rose essential oil for scent)

Thanks a lot for any helpful answers.

Bless

updated by @supa-dread: 02/14/15 08:58:22AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i don't know about the ocean/sea salt water part.

but if you skip the acv it can leave your hair dry, brittle, crunchy like. & a little or a few times wouldn't be too bad, but i wouldn't do it all the time or anything because dry & brittle hair will break easier.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

The over drying if due to the BS and the salt you are putting into it. Definitely do an ACV after because it will not only add a little bit of moisture to the hair but it restores the hairs pH.

In regards to your ocean question, I would most certainly follow up with a hair washing. If you can get your hair rinsed while it's still wet from the ocean water then that will cut back on drying time. If you don't think that you can and washing it later would cause you to go to sleep with wet hair, then you could skip it and do it in the morning but you might be really dried out.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Alright thanks ladies. Duly noted. I'm thinking I can wash my hair by like 5pm or so but idol if ill have enough time to dry. N I really think I'm gonna increase my jojoba oil ratio and add the acv regularly. What's y'all ratio on the acv?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

if undrr a year dont ue much acv 1/3 or less then the bs if over sa year use about same as bs

ofcourse u can adjust according to condition and need

i would definately rince at least as soon ass u can after being in the ocean

and a good wash after

but defibateky wouldnt leave sea water in over night

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I use a gallon pitcher of water with 20 drops of the essential oils and a splash (roughly 3 TBSP) of the apple cider vinegar...

Mario Victor Soares said:

Alright thanks ladies. Duly noted. I'm thinking I can wash my hair by like 5pm or so but idol if ill have enough time to dry. N I really think I'm gonna increase my jojoba oil ratio and add the acv regularly. What's y'all ratio on the acv?

Just curious if the hair can be rinsed with fresh water right after but if he can't get it shampooed because it would be too late for it to re-dry, would that cause an issue to just wash it in the morning? I know that having salt saturated hair can be extremely drying to the hair and scalp but I know there are a lot of people who go spend the day at the beach and then come home rather late putting them at risk of sleeping with wet hair if they wash at that later time.

soaring eagle said:

if undrr a year dont ue much acv 1/3 or less then the bs if over sa year use about same as bs

ofcourse u can adjust according to condition and need

i would definately rince at least as soon ass u can after being in the ocean

and a good wash after

but defibateky wouldnt leave sea water in over night

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I would definitely say at least rinse your hair. You can usually find a hose to wash the sand off of your feet. Run water through your hair to get as much salt/sand out of it, if, like Val said, you would end up going to sleep with wet hair. You don't want it to be soaked when you go to bed, but if it's mildly damp, it's OK, just be sure to wash it very well in the morning. Don't wait until later in the day.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Alright folks as always, very very helpful. Thanks SE for that specific piece of info, as i wasnt so sure of how often i should acv wash. So i''ll do it every third wash. As far as my ratio is it good? 1 tbsp for 32oz of water and let it soak in for 5 minutes? im following that guy Baker Street's advice from an earlier post. And also for my length of hair i think i might be short changing myself on the teatree oil and jojoba. For my lenght of hair, is 4 of each enough? And also i leave my hair wrapped in a towell with the bs soak for 20 minutes. Could it be that thats too much time? Thanks guys, ya'll r the best.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If I remember, he said to use 64g or BS to 1 liter. 64 grams of BS is more like 2.5 Tbls. Since 32oz is just under 1 liter, you could be safe adding another tbls to your mix.

I would recommend that you squeeze out the extra water with the towel and then just let it hang freely and air dry. Especiallywhen they are freshly wet, you want as much air flow as you can get.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

i thought according to his recipe it was half cup of bs to 5 vups of water? i hope im not doing it wrong and using too much bs. But yea i usually dry it with a towell, then i blowdry it a lil bit on the "cool" setting so im not frying my hair, then i let it air dry, usually i rip them then.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form