12 years ago
28 posts

Thanks so much for the GREAT tips!!

updated by @snick: 07/23/15 06:42:13PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'd love to be a grand dad with locks, but by that point I'll be bald. I might have a few left. I really want to have the classic old man hair the is bald on top and has locks on the side.

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

Wow... just realized I said I'm 32. I've been 33 for over 6 months. Yeesh.

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

Okay, how do I get the hair at the back of my head?

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I started with TnR and what I did was take my hair down the middle and work from each side over each shoulder. I pinned it up and started from the bottom and for the back I just kind of reached behind me or over my head to start and moved the hair out to the side as I worked the length. It's a long process and some people do it over the span of a couple of days. I sat at the couch and put in a good movie and worked on it as comfortably as I could. :P

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

do u sleep on your back?

if you start tnring from the front 1 or 2 a day by the time u get to the back it probly will be dreading on its own anyway

i cant tell u how many ppl did it that way and by time they were 2 months in th back they never even touched progressed further then the ones they tnr

Snick said:

Okay, how do I get the hair at the back of my head?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

im permenntly on rainbow time i pay no attention to the passage of time and dont own a reality meter (watch) havent in ..well i dont know under a century over a decade

i always forget how old i am and what year it is till i'm nearly a year older then i thought i was

Snick said:

Wow... just realized I said I'm 32. I've been 33 for over 6 months. Yeesh.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

The only ridiculous thing about dreads...wishing you had them but never starting. !!

I am 49 and have been dreading for 3 months - love them- each and every one of my babies.

For T&R, just make sure that you rip the section 3-5 times before you twist the hair, or else you will get a very braided look. Sodo notrip once, twist, rip once, twist etc... I let my hair section naturally for 3 weeks, then did the T&R. My hair told me where it wanted to go, I only had to seperate any sections that wanted to be larger than an inch thick. The thicker the dread, the longer it will take to dry when they are mature. T&R causesextreme fuzzies, but they will go away in 2-3 weeks and leave behind soft feeling hair. Oh yes, I did leave my bangs undreaded at first, but they wanted to join in the party, so I let them do their own thing. Never retwist the hair, you can cause future damage to the dread, just remember T&R will loosen before it dreads: a natural occurance.

My husband of 21 years is the Ying to my Yang. My decision to dread bothered him a lot at first. After just a few weeks he began to dig the look. It helped showing him photos of one and two year old dreads, he can now tell what they will become. Discuss with hubby to give you a year to try them out, he too will love them by that time. (My husband associated dreads with druggies only)

At the beginning it appears wild, so for my comfort level I wore a loose thick headband when I needed to go into town.

Almost forgot, I did my own waist length hair. Took 3 days, many hours, a large mirror on the floor and a good few movies. When your arm or hands get sore, stop for the night, tomorrow is another day. Hair clips help to keep the hair away from the section you are doing.

Life is too short, be true to yourself, be a good human being, and free your inner self, you know you want to.

Brandy :]
@brandy
12 years ago
106 posts

welcome to the site! i wish you bravery and confidence to make the right decision for YOURSELF at this point in your life..

1. ABSOLUTELY NOT! as a mother of two im sure you have a lot of stresses, now your appearance will not be one of them, letting your hair go provesdiscipline, love and many other things i believe. im sure your kids will deffinitely love it.

2. YES! but, knowing that the negativity is a major possibility from the beginning, helps to prepare you for all that negativity, so knowing it will more than likely be there should only make you hold your head higher and give you that much more confidence, they are obviously narrow minded people if they are going to judge you based on your hair, or judge you for wanting to be natural, if someone actually SAYS something to you, you can calmly and politely explain to them your reasoning for dreading your hair naturally, usually they can see from your point of view and understan and walk away, or they just wont understand, and thats OK, you cant go through your life pleasing others, especially when it comes to your appearance.

3. YES IT IS :D i have all my hair dreaded except for my bangs and the fringe peices surrounding my face.

4.YES, but eventually they grew to love them, and the ones that dont just dont say anything, your FAMILY and especially yourHUSBANDshould love you and think your are the greatest thing in the world NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO to your physical body. and as far as your husband goes, it doesnt make sense that he wouldwantyou to have synthetic dread falls and not actual life-long-lasting beatiful natural dreads, unless he likes thesuperficialfake look on a woman. and as far as the legal ex husband deal, hes your ex for a reason its of noconcernto him, and the people involved legally CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT JUDGE YOU ON YOUR APPEARANCE. thats like not giving the child to one parent just because they have tattoos,eventhough theotherparent is a crack head lol ya know what im sayin?

Amy Jo
@amy-jo
12 years ago
50 posts

Okay, wow, I just went through this same thing with MY husband! I'm 51 and am in my 4th week of dreading! At first he hated the idea but he's finally warming up to them. I had a few days where I was questioning it myself, but once I saw here on this wonderful group that it's normal in the beginning... I feel much better.

Good Luck!!! :)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form