Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

HELP! I need your opinion on my hair and dreadlockshampoo products before I lock up!

Christopher3
@christopher3
12 years ago
11 posts

Hey there

No dreads yet obviously but soon... very soon. I'm posting a few pictures to get everyones opinions about my hair and any tips and advice anybody would like to share for me. I'm going with the twist n rip method and I find it kinda hard to measure hair but my guess is around 8 inches. My girlfriend has never done dreads but my understanding its a pretty simple process once your a few dreads in. By looking at the pictures would you suggest that it's at a good starting length? (Pictures of me are bad, but thankfully its about the hair right?) I know how dreads look at the begninng, and at the end but I don't like it when fresh newbies are tiny and kinda spikey looking. A few of my friends do natural or back combing and I refuse to do either. Reasons like impatience to start the journey or against the other alternative methods. Do you think grabbing hair and dreading it or actually taking the time to measure is better? I love the natural look with all the whoopdie whirlys and zig zags so I wouldnt mind grab at random. I just dont want the sized to be TO drastically differant, ya know? I want them to feel free, but also presentable for any interviews or weddings I'll be attending. Any before and after pictures of generally the same length of hair would be amazing.

Laslty, a few questions about products from dreadlockshampoo.com. If it's in another forum please show me the way, but since I'm posting this I figured I may as well ask in here to. How long should I wash my hair with the teatree/rosemary before I get dreads? To make sure all the conditoner is out and what not. How to wash dreads I know I can research here, but I'll also be buying the locking gel only to let them have a good start while they're young. Any directions on the application for it? And please any other advice or tips you have for me please share! Im pretty sure that wraps it up

Thanks a lot in advance!

updated by @christopher3: 02/14/15 10:19:10AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

thats closer to 10-12 inches and will lock up great

tnr and other methi]odfs take more patience not less then natural since tnr or backcomb u have backwards progrss 1st naturals all forwards and exciting not pannic inducing

if u grab at random be really sure no big clumps of hair are escaping 1 section to be caufht in another or crossing from 1 to the other make then 1/4 1/2..3/4 inch rancge u can just let the hair section itself naturally but u never knolw it might start to dread sooner then u think

to really strip conditioners a clarifying or anti residue shampoo will do it in one use

the gekl is made to start dreads without starting dreds apply a dab to the roots then wrap your hand round the section and use a gentle twisting motion as u slide it down the section

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Christopher3
@christopher3
12 years ago
11 posts

I have no idea how many times I've already told you this but thanks again!! Everything i was curious about has been answered so now it's just the waiting game until I have them done.Yeah I'm probablly going to do half inch sections so then hopefully they'll grow around a inch ina couple of years. Im not looking for phatass dreads, but not skinny ones. Whatever my hair gives me though Ill be more than happy with.

But yeah I think ima just exnay the gel from dreadlockshampoo since Im doing TNR. I thought it was just to use a little so it helps hold (same function as wax but better) my dreads since the tnr isnt really locking them but giving them more of a foundation.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

While you wait to do your TnR you can start washing and treating your hair as if it has dreads (ie. start the natural dreading process) and then when you are ready to TnR then the hair may have started to section itself out naturally, making it easier to piece out.

Christopher3
@christopher3
12 years ago
11 posts

Yeah that would make things alot easier if itwere topiece itself out on it its own.You mean just by washing it with no residue shampoo every few days and obv never letting a comb near it?

Christopher3
@christopher3
12 years ago
11 posts

Such as the clarifying shampoo

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exxxactly it may even start tio dread before your ready to tnr it often dreads faster then e\xpected

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

clarifying shampoos arent meant for use all the time they are meant for rare uses when u mneed to remove buildup i used 1 last wash for 1st time in 6 months and notw my scalps rebelling i cant wait to use the dreadlockshampoo bar tomorow to get it back to normal

if i use the clarifying shampoos itsonce every few months

Christopher said:

Such as the clarifying shampoo

--
Christopher3
@christopher3
12 years ago
11 posts

Ahhhh okay okay so the clarifying is just pretty mucha random or special occasion thing. Like obviously right now to get all the conditioner out and like if I took a dip in a pool or something with hard water chlorine and what not. So would you suggest just goin ahead and getting the shampoo from dreadlockshampoo and using that until I devide to TnR? I'm def getting a couple liquid and the teatree rosemary bar you suggested

Riley Napalm
@haazinumusic
12 years ago
27 posts

i love the dreadlocks shampoo. it smells awesome and besides baking soda and apple cider vinegar, it's the only thing i've used to wash my locks. i ordered the nag champa and i don't have complaint. in fact, if you tell them you are brand new to dreading they may even send a sample of the aloe. that's what they did for me. and when i went back to order the aloe, they sent me a sample of the nag champa shampoo! i'm set for a while! haha

Christopher said:

Ahhhh okay okay so the clarifying is just pretty mucha random or special occasion thing. Like obviously right now to get all the conditioner out and like if I took a dip in a pool or something with hard water chlorine and what not. So would you suggest just goin ahead and getting the shampoo from dreadlockshampoo and using that until I devide to TnR? I'm def getting a couple liquid and the teatree rosemary bar you suggested

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form