Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

so last time i posted i had wax in my hair, after being grease i choose to wash my hair a bunch of times and basically got it all out, since i have tried to tighten my hair and backcomb. i am having issues, my hair basically looks like braids, and very fuzzy, im not worried about the loose hair i just want to make sure that the braids will eventually turn to dreads. i do palm roll, but not seeing much change, would someone please give me suggestions...also what is the best type of shampoo to be using. please dont just answer residue free that hasnt helped me. thanks so much here a photo also.

updated by @melissa3: 01/13/15 09:26:38PM
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

If you aren't having luck with shampoo why not do the BS and ACV? That's all I use. I used to use bronners and loved it but I won't even put bronners in my hair now. BS all the way.

Are those elastic bands on your roots? Take them off. You aren't helping your hair dread.

Eventually the braided look will fade but your hair needs to be able to move. But really I don't know why you have a braided look since you backcombed.

Did you interlock? The photos are bad but it kind of looks like you did. Do you perhaps have any better pictures?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i hope u fdidnt interlock what do u mean byu u tightened? u shouldnt be doing an ything u shouldnr be palm riolling or tryingto force them to tighten time takes care of that

www.dreadlockshampoo.com i ued the bs for years but now ..these are even better

they look fine but wondering why u have a part..down the back

also if u have rubber bands in take em out! and thben just let it dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

also u do not want to backcomb ever again it should only be done one time! you shouldnt try to tighten at all it will do that itseklf and forcing it will only cause trouble

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Interlocking forces your hair to have a braided look that will eventually disappear under the few frizzies that even mature locks have. But if you look closely, that braided look never goes away if you interlock. If you just didn't randomize your sections enough, they can look braided, but that does go away in time.

And yeah, take the bands out. They don't look like normal rubber bands for hair, but either way, they won't help at all. In fact, they hinder your locks process. It slows them down because they can't move enough, and they cause weak spots in them from compressing your hair too tightly.

Just let your hair hang free and those gaps between locks will disappear too. And just so you know, the size of the sections is pretty big. You will end up have massive locks. From what it look like, your locks will be about 2-3 inches in diameter when they grow out and mature. Locks that big are a pain in the ass to wash and dry. I, personally love mine that big. So I posted a discussion here on how to clean and dry fat locks. If you are set on having them that big, you should check out that forum.

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

thanks so much for the advice, yes i guess it is interlocked. and im not sure why it looks like i have rubberbands in my hair i DO NOT, thanks for the advice i will continue to wash my hair, and not do anything to it form now on, i do have a few beads in my hair, just for fun. the sections have been there for a little over 3 months so i am just going to let them grow like that and if they get to big i can always start over later on in life. i will for sure check out your form on how to wash and dry large locks. thanks for the help. i will add more photos that are not taken on my computer.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

It's probably the interlocking that makes it look like elastic bands.

Definitely not something you should do to your dreads if you want them to be strong and healthy.

From this point forward you should let them do their thing. Don't intervene beyond separating. Let them recover.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I think it is the interlocking that makes it look like they are rubber banded at the roots. The roots should be loose so that they can tangle and dread as they grow.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I know that people interlock roots because they think that their new growth is so straight that it could never mat like the tips of their hair did. But look at Eagle. his locks are 22 (?) years old. And they are pretty much locked up all the way to the scalp. There will always be an inch or so of straight hair, but it does lock up. If it didn't lock up on it's own, you would have to start over every few months to make sure your locks went all way up. But because you see people who have had lock for years and do not have feet of straight hair between their locks and scalp, new growth must do it's own thing. There's no need to interlock them to try and force it along

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

starting yesterday i am now only doing occasional salt sprays and washing., now that they are in place i assume they will do their own thing and lock on their own. hopefully by mid summer they start to look better.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form