Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bob Marley and Dreads?

Giuliano Pagano
@giuliano-pagano
15 years ago
55 posts
So lately alot of people been telling me that I'm getting dreads just because Bob Marley had them and such, even my mom will tell her friends that and it's really not true.So I'm kinda curious why so many people relate dreadlocks to Bob Marley and rastafarians, it's not like they were the only culture out there to have them. :S
updated by @giuliano-pagano: 02/06/18 06:45:47PM
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
because they have no idea what they are talking about,the fact they even know what dreadlocks are puts them far ahead of most people.
Giuliano Pagano
@giuliano-pagano
15 years ago
55 posts
its kinda annoying explaining to everyone that dreadlocks have been around since the dawn of man and not just africans get them, i guess people who are closed minded are the people who think so? Iain said:
because they have no idea what they are talking about,
the fact they even know what dreadlocks are puts them far ahead of most people.
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
people are dumb.
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
Yeah, Most people associate them with him, some are close-minded and probably can't be convinced otherwise, most just don't know any better,Of course if you're wearing a giant Bob Marley shirt with Rasta color beads and 2day old dreads, then that probably wouldn't help some peoples opinions
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I had a woman staying in the extended hotel I am at ask me if I liked rasta music... She is black and loves rasta music... I def don't hate it but I don't just listen to one kind of music all the time... if it's on I listen if I like it... I thought it was odd of her to ask such a question but then I thought better of it. Just because she is black doesn't mean she knows all about dreads. She is pretty much clueless like the rest of society... I told her my reasoning was a spiritual release from self esteem issues and cultural suppression. She honesty looked at me like I was speaking german or alien or something. Then her attention shifted else where quickly cuz I guess I confused her.
tha tron
@tha-tron
15 years ago
147 posts
to people outside of the dread culture Bob is the michael jordan of dreadlocks. If you know nothing about basketball you atleast know who MJ is. It's just that, don't read into it too much. It's that simple.
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
as long as people are asking, i think it's best that we answer their questions with positivity and love.. just confirm that you know who bob marley is, and yes, he had dreads.. but anyone iof any color from any section of the world would have dreads if they just stopped brushing their hair. I usually say something along the lines that it usually signifies a deeper connection to the natural Earth and the roots that come with living a natural life.as far as your mom is concerned.. sit down and have a talk with her and tell her if she is going to explain your choices to her friends, at least let it be accurate! break it down for her to explain it in laments terms to them!.. just tell her that you are an Earthy person and that this is your way to express your connection to your natural roots...
lino sanchez
@lino-sanchez
15 years ago
27 posts
I'm sure in a rastafarian society if a kid straightened his hair, they'd be like, hey why are you trying to a be white?
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
15 years ago
105 posts
EVERYTHING is stereotyped.. why would dreadlocks be any different? You know what kind of world we live in, its sad, but true.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form