Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Swimming Pools

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I could find out about the salt water pools, but if I were to guess... Water that get poured out of pools, go into storm drains. Storm drains do not get sent to water treatment plants. They tend to just get emptied into rivers and streams. If you pour chlorine into a stream it isn't great, but the little amount of chlorine concentration to water won't do nearly as much damage to the fresh water ecosystem as would pouring hundreds of thousands of gallons or even millions of gallons of salt water into a fresh water ecosystem.

updated by @baba-fats: 07/13/15 02:28:53AM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

aaaaaahhhh. damn. ok. Now I get it. That sucks.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Don't quote me on that one, yet. It's just my hypothesis. I'd have to do more research into it. I'm still trying to figure out the effects of using salt to melt the ice the past 2 winters. In Philadelphia, we had few but HUGE snow falls in 2010 and 11. And there must have been enormous amounts of salt used to melt it. And it melted really fast. That salt had to go somewhere. The info is just not out there. I guess no one is asking the same questions.

But I'm sure the research has been about there about pools.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

The salt runoff is a concern of mine, too, since we lived in the Allegheny mountains in WV, for several years. The amount of salt used in Morgantown in one winter.. sheesh. We actually ran out and the city was begging for supplies from several states away and no respite until the weather broke naturally. It was bad. But right in the valley there is the Monongahela River. Those poor fish.

The next winter, because we didn't know how bad it'd be the mix was mostly cinders with a little bit of salt. The number of black ice related wrecks rose significantly. Dangerous stuff. Lesson learned: cinders don't work any where near as well as salt.

Salt kills a lot of the nutrients in soil, doesn't it? I wonder how long it would take to naturally de-salinize(?) regions which had lands where too much salt had been used.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
There are self filtering fresh water pools that people can build in their backyards. I'm on my phone but just google it and you will see very beautiful pools. Its my dream to have one of them next to my eventual cobb house.
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Oh that is sweet, Tied Up In Knots. I'll read about it.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Angel, WVa is probably my favorite state in the US. TheMonongahelariver is so beautiful. Did you ever raft the upper Yough? Go to Dolly Sods? or Seneca Rocks? Allmajesticplaces. I spent 2 weeks camping and working with environmentalists out there. We took water measurements, built trails, fixed Mountain Lion refuge cages, and learned about coal mining and it's effects. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I've heard of places using ash mixed with salt. I couldn't see how ash would work. Cider is pretty much another form of graphite. And if you ever worked with it and gotten it on your hands, you'd notice that graphite is alubricant.

The problem with salt is that itdissociatesinto Sodium and Chlorine gas in water. Chlorine gas is toxic. In the presence of water, the 2 elements will not combine. So as long as there's water in the soil, you've got a toxic gas in there too. The gas will get absorbed by any living things, and will in essence kill it. What little water there is, has more salt in it that the cells of living things around it. The water from the cells is pulled out and the plant withers and dies.

Road ice is not NaCl, but it works on the same pinciple. It's still a salt, and still breaks apart in the same way

Angel Frye said:

The salt runoff is a concern of mine, too, since we lived in the Allegheny mountains in WV, for several years. The amount of salt used in Morgantown in one winter.. sheesh. We actually ran out and the city was begging for supplies from several states away and no respite until the weather broke naturally. It was bad. But right in the valley there is the Monongahela River. Those poor fish.

The next winter, because we didn't know how bad it'd be the mix was mostly cinders with a little bit of salt. The number of black ice related wrecks rose significantly. Dangerous stuff. Lesson learned: cinders don't work any where near as well as salt.

Salt kills a lot of the nutrients in soil, doesn't it? I wonder how long it would take to naturally de-salinize(?) regions which had lands where too much salt had been used.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Never been to those places, unfortunately. I was neck deep in school there. No time for fun or roaming around on road trips. The most I got to see of the state was driving back down through when moving back to Florida. Holy hell what a lot of roads I'd be terrified to travel down(or up) without salt on in the winter!!! Rollercoaster ride. Beautiful BEAUTIFUL country.

Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
12 years ago
53 posts

Hi,

I've seen a few of these vids and when I commented they said I was wrong. Hope you don't mind but I just pasted your explanation as a comment, but I couldn't credit you as youtube limits the space x

Baba Fats said:

I love Chemistry. Something about it. I feel at ease when I look at a periodic table. Kind of like people who count things or wash their hands a dozen time, or lock and unlock their doors

BS and vinegar make Carbonic acid. It's the stuff that makes soda fizzy. It breaks down really easily into CO2 and water. Cold temps help it stay stable, but soda goes flat fast out of the fridge because it's warm. That fizzing is the CO2 bubbling off.

What is left over is the salt form of nail polish remover. Add more vinegar and, again, you get a basic solution sitting on your head for long periods of time, especially if you are sitting there listening to it sizzle.

Not to mention that it's got to smellhorrendous. I can't stand the smell of acetate in a lab setting, let alone on my head in a small bathroom.

What video was that?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

lol. No problem. They'll probably still say you're wrong, but YOu know as well as I do that some people don't like to be proven wrong when they think what they're doing is right. Just like when I tell people not to use Agave. People don't listen.

And Angel, If you were in Morgentown, at least tell me you ate at the Hellbender

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form