Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

SLS and Sodium coco Sulfate?

brandis moody
@brandis-moody
12 years ago
10 posts

I've been using a lush shampoo bar on my locks again since they replaced SLS in their bars with Sodium coco sulfate. I was told that it was better for you and I really love the way it makes my locks feel. Does anybody know the actual difference between the two, or is SCS just as bad as SLS?

updated by @brandis-moody: 06/23/15 02:17:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i thought it was pretty much the same thing maybe slight variation in how its processed i was told its best to avoid all sulphates

but heather would know better

or vicki

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
brandis moody
@brandis-moody
12 years ago
10 posts

That's what I've been guessing ... I just found this article though, anybody know if its true?

shae
@shae
12 years ago
2 posts

The article itself is utterly misleading.

They talk about Sodium Coco Sulfate as if it's a miracle product derived from coconut that doesn't carry the same worrisome effects as SLS and SLES, when in reality, the only thing it doesn't carry that the other two products do is the same vigorous testing that has us all worrying about whether or not our shampoo's are toxic to us.

If that doesn't bother you, go ahead, knock yourself out and use SCS. But just know. Like SLS and SLES. SCS is derived from the same thing, Oil of coconut. The only difference is that SCS isn't as filtered down (so to speak).

On a chemical standpoint, SCS and SLS are identified using the same identical number. What does that tell you? It tells you the scientists creating SCS and SLS in a lab have no way of distinguishing between the two.

Shocking. What's even more shocking. Before SCS, people were saying SLaurethS was naturally derived from coconuts. I say use SCS at you're own peril. And don't be surprised if in 2 years from now you're seeing Salt Coconut Sulfous being added to your shampoo.

A rose by any other name....

brandis moody said:

That's what I've been guessing ... I just found this article though, anybody know if its true?

brandis moody
@brandis-moody
12 years ago
10 posts

Well there goes that shampoo bar... I can't believe the two aren't even really distinguishable from each other. Thanks so much for the reply!

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

You have to be so careful these days. Manufacturers of food, medicine, beauty products, everything, would rather simply rename or use different, equally harmful chemicals than risk losing profits by actually making their products healthier.

There was a big hullaballoo about aspartame. Was it removed from food? No. It was renamed.AminoSweet. Nice and harmless sounding. Not so harmless on my migraines.

Sodium Coco Sulphate sounds like the same thing. Coconuts! I know what coconuts are! Coconuts are good for me so this must be too! As we have sadly discovered this is not the case.

I'll stick with my BS and ACV for now. I don't have to worry about sulphates or palm oil or anything else like that.

brandis moody
@brandis-moody
12 years ago
10 posts

That's so true... life would be so much easier if there was just a master list of whats actually safe.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

whats even worse is good ol jonny dirty from dreadheadhq on g[-his site says that theres no risk d=from sls despite the fact that the ama and cancer society recomends sls be pulled from all cosmetics good ol jonny claims to know more about it then the entire medical field

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
shae
@shae
12 years ago
2 posts

A lot of people claim a lot of crazy crap. Remember in the 60's and 70's when companies were touting the supposed health benefits of smoking cigarettes.

Either way, for all of those interested, they should check this website out, http://www.greenoptions.com/a/list-of-fakers-and-not-fakers

It might not be an exact list of what to buy and what to stay away from, but I read through her site and I trust her opinion. This person compiles a list of companies that use nasty ingredients we should all stay away from, as well as the companies who have earned her trust. It might help anyone who's interested to narrow down a list of possible products (hair and body) to try out.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form