Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to convince mom? Advice needed

Connor Dreads
@connor-dreads
12 years ago
4 posts
I want dreads so bad and I have a good idea of which method I'm going to use thanks to this site. But my mom wants nothing to do with me having dreads, so if I don't convoke her, no dreads til I move out of the house.How do I convince her? All my friends try and convince her( most my friends are older then me, so they are adults) but she's all "theyre dirty, you'll look like a homeless person," etc.One of my very close friends has dreads and she is willing to help me care for them, but first I gotta convince my mom.So...Have any of you been in this situation? If so how can I convince her that all those things are myths?Thanks
updated by @connor-dreads: 01/13/15 09:21:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ive written dozens of these i wish i could just find 1 and link to it but here we go again (is it lazy to not bother looking and rewrite it?) dear connors mom hi, i have had dreadlocks nearly 22 years. and i wantto inform you on the myths and realities that come with dreadlocks as well as explain why dreadlocks are wanted. lets start off with myths the most common being dreads are dirty: false (in almost all cases) dreads dread best when clean, in fact, cleaner then undreaded hair. without product buildup, without oils from the scalp being over produced, without gels, sprays mouses etc. washing hair actualy is what creates the knots that cause dreads to form. some misinformed people do use wax in dreads or don't wash, so ther e are some who are dirty but this is not recomended or good to do. dreads are a sign of drug use: false drug use amonst dreads is no higher then amongst any other group although in gebneral hard drug and alcohi[]ol ue is lower rastafarians use marijuana (a known harmless medicinal herb that saves lives) as a religios sacriment (not all do) but will not touch any other drugs including tobaco sugar or alcohol. dangerouse drug use amongst dreads is far lower then amongst the corporate suite and tie crowd that often getsinto cocain and opiates like oxicontin. and other prescription meds. dreadlocks will keep you from getting a job. false i have worked in an office with dreads to the floor and was featured on the promotional meterials they gave away to clients (mugs calenders posters) the saturn rocket that got us to the moon werre designed and built by someone with dereads who now runs the largest biodeisel refinery in the counhtry, in fact on our website we have another rocket scientist finnishing his phd to work for nasa, as well as severakl doctors preists an d ministers law office workers nurses by the dozens teachers ..you name it there is no job that you cant do with dreads with only a couple exceptions fireman, fighter pilot anything that has a safety concern (requiring a tight fitting oxygen mask) by law dreadlocks discrimination is ilegal because dreadlocks are a recognized expression of religios beliefs (not just rastas) (see below) only african americans and jamaicans should dread: false dreadlocks may have become popular because of bob marly and reggae from jamaican rastafariahsm byt dreadlocks were a part of every culture and religion on earth (almost) examples jesus's dad joseph had dreadlocks to the floor, so did john the baptist (whos job was to remove the original sin of the sinless jesus not an easy job to get) sampson as well was the most famouse dread in the bible but many scholars believe jesus himself wore dreads (as his only hair refference said hair likewool, wiool tends to matt and the term jesus of nazereth was discovered to not refer to any known town in existence atthe time, but instead may refer to jesus of the nazarites,. the nazarits refer to an oldtestiment group that wore dreadlocks and had special diets accordingto the nazarite vow. the nazarites were said to be the only people worthy of entering heaven and speaking to the devine directly (without needing a preist to interperate) as well as said to be ther holiest of holy . every other religion embraced dreadlocks a a sign of wisdom and holiness too sadhus in hindu many muslim sects worde dreads under turbans cristians jews buddhist u name it buddhist as asseperation from vanity and control..etc dreads are looked down on: false (with exceptions) although some close minded people re very vocal about howthey feel about dreads (based on the above myths) 99% of the people you meet on the streetgive you massive respect and admirastion. in fact, my mom was like you, saying she was embarrassed to be seen with me, in fact avoided it and every conversation for 15 years involved ciutting my dreads (a real strain on our relationship) then one day we go christmass shopping and practicly every person thast walked by said i love your hair then 6 old ladies in their 70's surround me saying they never saw anything so beautiful..in an instant my mom realized it wasnt something shameful but to be proud oif anjd her atitude changed. however connor will face those few negative remarks .. kids can be cruel, however that is part of what is special about dreading you gain strength by inviting descrimination you becomestrongconfident and stop caring about that 1% that hates just to hate. dreads need to be shaved if you decide you dont wantthem false you can comb them out even after years, nit easily but you can. now reasons to dread and to let connor dread. dreadlocks are naturakl, the natural state of hair, and in todays plastic society where we are seperated from nature constantly there is a pro]=imal need to reconect with your natural self. dreading is 1 of the eaasiest ways ofcourse running off to live with wolves in a tipi is another option haha drwads are spiritual dreading changes you makes you strong confident empowers you to be your truest self dreads make you happy dreading has been known to cure many "issues" especialy social and body image like anorexia elf doubt self loathing depression inferiurity isues and more dreadlocks build you up so you overcome many things that tear you down ..why>? lets look at the causes. anorexia as a easy es=xample is causded by control and insults parentsd put pressure to be perfect the childcant live up to the pressur and feekls they have no control over their own life and must do everythung exactly as expected they only have 1 thingthey can control if they eat or not dreadlocks you let go ofcontrol let the hair form as it desires yiu dont have to force every hair into place and u wake up ready to go loking good . the other cause..insults 1 personsaying your fat despite the fact 10000 say your too skinny often we only hear the negative well dreads teach youto let go ofthe negative not let it affectyou and only pay attehntion, to the positive.

finaly i'll mention more about the culture and respect

dreads weee a sign of royalty in many cultures king tut as an example his drads survive on his mummy to this day many pharoes worse dreads in fact dreadlocks wigs became popular as well for more common folks in egypy]=tion cultures and in the 1800's when america was spreading westward many native american chiefs and warriors and medicine men were found to wear dreadlocks too.

evensheaksphere mentioned dreads in one ogf his plays, but referrd to them as elf lcks that were believed to be causded by elves tangling the hair in your sleep and it was considered bad luck to ujntangle them this easilt]=y leads to the conclusion that many, if not most had some of these elf locks they would not untangle out of fear of bad luck.

dreadlocks wre a part of the fhistory and culture of every nation and religion

they are pretty much a primal need for kany

and connor will dread one day no matter what

he feels the need

i hope you can be suportin[ve

it will steengthen your relationship dent]ying it will strain it.

trust ke i know

i can also say parents often feel that if they let their child do something like f[]grow dreads it reflects badly onthem as a parent.. now there may be a smallnumv[ber that do feelthatway but most would recognize that your empowring him to be his own person and respect you forthat.

thank you for at least concidering all i have said

edit the typos s]\i typed it blind with someone tanding in front of the mono[itore the whole time

so im si[ure its mostly typos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

srry there were paragraphs haha but i had an ip ban and it was released 1/2 way through so i had to copy paste to a text file close the browser5r reopen and paste bvack which lost all the paragraphs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form