dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questions about sectioning hair!

Lia Tea
@lia-tea
12 years ago
3 posts

Hello, This is my first post!

I did the bottom layer of my hair and there are 4 dreads and each section is about 1 and a half inches square, but after using the twist and rip method to dread them, they start at about half an inch and then quickly taper into being thinner than a pencil.

I am wondering how much they will thicken up and if I should comb them out an go with smaller sections? or bigger? I am just worried that my hair is too thin. My hair is also quite long and it goes down to the small of my back/waist.

Thank you for any help!

Lia

updated by @lia-tea: 01/13/15 09:20:06PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

id make em smaller 1 and 1/2 is pretty damn big 1 inch is the max id recomend

1/2 inch i[or less is best g]for thinner hair

id actualy mix em up alot 1/4 1/8 1/2 maybe 1 or 2 that are about an inch to 3/4 but wouldnt gio over an inch unless u want big fat huge dreads

but with fine hair a blend of mostly small and a few thick looks best

otherwise u will have like 10 fat dreads huge gaps between

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lia Tea
@lia-tea
12 years ago
3 posts

How much will they thicken?

The babies i have now are about 3/4th an inch thick for like 3 inches at the base and then 1/8th of an inch thick for the other foot of their length.

I don't think my hair is so thin, but more damaged and broken because i have had it long for so long.

Thank you!

soaring eagle said:

id make em smaller 1 and 1/2 is pretty damn big 1 inch is the max id recomend

1/2 inch i[or less is best g]for thinner hair

id actualy mix em up alot 1/4 1/8 1/2 maybe 1 or 2 that are about an inch to 3/4 but wouldnt gio over an inch unless u want big fat huge dreads

but with fine hair a blend of mostly small and a few thick looks best

otherwise u will have like 10 fat dreads huge gaps between

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

1 and a half inches seems kind of big. The dreads will thicken up to the same size as the section used to make it. At least that's what they tell me!

My "dreads" are all a little less than half the size of the sections on my scalp. It's kind of hard to tell though since I did them willy nilly so they aren't any real measurable size/shape. as far as the dread thickness goes mine range from a couple millimetres to a centimetre-ish in width/thickness. A centimetre is apparently 4/10 of an inch and I only have one dread that big most are about half that. The loose hair at the bottom of the big one is thinner than the ink part of a bic pen to give you an idea of how much hair was used to make it.

I'd go smaller sections since you can always combine dreads later if they're too small still. Harder to go the other way. Much harder.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they do thicken to the size of the root section if u have a 3 inch section thats like the size of your bicept coming out the side of your head!

massive

2 inch your wrist

1 inch 2 fingers width

1/2 inch thumb size

you sure so not want 3 inch thick dreads

they will take a week to dry

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

og=h misread thoughtu said 3 inch wide at the base..lol was scared

at the base ..the scalp area

go for anything from pencil to quarter size

u can let the hair section itself and use that as a guide

--
Lia Tea
@lia-tea
12 years ago
3 posts

its not 3 inches thick, but the part that is 3/4ths of an inch thick is 3 inches long and then it goes into being 1/8th of an inch thick.

does that make sense?

soaring eagle said:

they do thicken to the size of the root section if u have a 3 inch section thats like the size of your bicept coming out the side of your head!

massive

2 inch your wrist

1 inch 2 fingers width

1/2 inch thumb size

you sure so not want 3 inch thick dreads

they will take a week to dry

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea now it does well like i said its the area that the hair comes from the scalp that determines the mature dread thickness

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form