Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Neglect method with tangly hair? How long?

Paige
@paige
12 years ago
52 posts

Hello I'm new to the site, and I'll make my first post a question. I have 12 dreads all on the bottom half of my head below my ears...I backcombed and made the sections kind of big but I figure I'll just split them later if they look stupidly big. Anyway after looking a lot on this site I found a couple posts about shrinkage, and instantly started to get worried. I have a long face so anything above shoulder length hair on me looks really dumb, plus I just love long hair. So I started thinking about the neglect method so I could keep my length.

About my hair: I have a regular amount of thin hair, which can get pretty wavy the less I brush it, and the unknotted hair is a couple inches past two feet. I brush my hair only before whenever I go out, and leave it the rest of the day. BUT my hair is always pretty tangled after only a couple of hours! It tangles VERY FAST. It's 10:30pm here and the last time I brushed my hair was around 6:20am this morning, and I just took a picture of what it looks like now:

So yeah sorry for all that backstory but I was wondering if having too tangly hair could be bad in anyway, and if I continue not brushing it based on how my hair looks right now how long it would take to form dreads. ALSO it's very humid where I live (FL on the beach) so would that effect how well neglect dreads form? Thank you.

updated by @paige: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Tangly hair is what everyone wants when they start locks. It's perfect, but like I said in your other post, et ready for some shrinkage. We'll all be here to help you through it. Don't worry about what other people think of how you look. It took me a full year before mine even began to look like locks. It's very rewarding to just let go.

All you have to do is separate.

And how big are "big" sections? .5 to 1 inch is what most people look for. As they get bigger you get into more issues with drying and weight and how they pull on your head. I've got 14 total. So I kind of know what it's like to have some massive one growing in. It's what I want, but not for everyone. 2 inch sections could have the potential of growing a lock as wide as your wrist. If that's not your cup of tea, comb them out now and start over before you have to cut them as they mature.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Well we have another member whose hair is dreading just as fast you would find dread within a week probably maybe two. With hair that dreads fast you will have to separate more often. You'll try to over dread and Congo by that I mean gets combining trying to eat each other

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Yeah I agree about that you don't want dreads over an inch. It's easier to start over now then try to split them later

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Paige
@paige
12 years ago
52 posts

Ok thanks guys! I guess I should comb em out, I have at least four that are 2 inches, and wrist width dreads are not for me!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

yeah, it's not for everyone. I saw a pic of a girl on etsy with ones that big, and i fell in love with the idea, but I know what I'm getting into

Paige
@paige
12 years ago
52 posts

good luck with em!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form