Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What is this? (White dots in the roots)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's what I was thinking Taye. I saw this thread earlier, but didn't get a chance to reply.

I've got dark hair, and I just figured I'd look for the hell of it. I saw one right away. But they're few and far between. It is probably from the back combing that made them so abundant.

updated by @baba-fats: 07/23/15 05:20:46AM
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

yes back combing can cause it but he back combed a year ago. He is noticing it in the length where the back combing could have been done aggressively but he is also noticing some towards his scalp...which would be new growth and unaffected by the back combing.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Oh, yeah. I'm not arguing with you that as you shed hair it gets caught in your locks. They act like a natural hairnet, but he said the most of them are by the tips and 1/2 way up the lock. That's where the back combing took place

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

I don't know why...but i have one dread on the side of my head towards the back ...that was tnr over 3 years ago....going on 4. From my scalp down about 6 inches...it is covered with the roots.. I rarely pull my hair up and if i do it is usually with a scarf. the scarf does not touch that particular dread. There is no pulling on the dread. No pressure on it at all. The dread is not thinning or anything. I just figure i shed more in that area. I don't let it bother me. It is just there.

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

nope he said in the first line

"At the roots of some of my dreads there are very small white dots in the end of many hairs.

It continues to about the half of the dread i think." which leads me to believe it is new growth.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ohp. You're right. sorry. I miss read it

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Not necessarily, I have seen the roots of backcombed hair that extended over a foot from the roots because they move around a lot within the dread. Just the way they loop around everything, Pulled out roots don't necessarily stay near the roots

taye said:

nope he said in the first line

"At the roots of some of my dreads there are very small white dots in the end of many hairs.

It continues to about the half of the dread i think." which leads me to believe it is new growth.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

I'm in my third month now but by the beginning of my second month when I started to notice those roots I pulled the hairs out. Stupidly. I thought I was doing a good thing. Nope. Somebody here(Panterra??) set me on the straight and narrow path by telling me that those fallen our hairs are what actually bind our locks together in the beginning. They fall out of the scalp and then get caught on neighboring hairs before they fall from our head completely. And then the lovely story begins of that one hair's journey in the making of that lock. It winds and wraps, knots and twists.

Now here's where I get stumped-- how in the hell can those hairs turn UPSIDE DOWN!!!?? and then wind themselves back up into the lock?! Seriously. I've got roots down at the bottom of my locks and the hair attached to them are actually wound up inside the lock. Defies gravity, man, I tell ya.

Some people suggest dying the hair to cover the white roots. And I'm sure it works. But I quit dying my hair. I want truly low maintenance hair. So I just deal with the roots. When I see them sometimes I'll snip them off, the same way that if a hair is hanging halfway out my lock I'll trim it off and leave the rest inside to get knotted up.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Could be more shedding but also to be how you sleep, I guess

taye said:

I don't know why...but i have one dread on the side of my head towards the back ...that was tnr over 3 years ago....going on 4. From my scalp down about 6 inches...it is covered with the roots.. I rarely pull my hair up and if i do it is usually with a scarf. the scarf does not touch that particular dread. There is no pulling on the dread. No pressure on it at all. The dread is not thinning or anything. I just figure i shed more in that area. I don't let it bother me. It is just there.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts
I have tons. Totally normal. You can snip the ones that are sticking out with nail clippers or small scissors.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form