12 years ago
88 posts

haha, yeah. stoners... gotta love em.

updated by @naked-naturalist: 07/23/15 06:41:00PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It made perfect sense. It's a feeling we all have. What is beautiful to us is not what society thinks is beautiful. And we like it that way

c21dread
@c21dread
12 years ago
17 posts

well said every1

c21dread
@c21dread
12 years ago
17 posts

c21dread said:

well said every1

I didn't think about it till after it had already happened

so the question is why did i keep them - i dont really know !

but i can relate to all the previous comments

its a kind of meditation i guess

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

This is most inspiring, Hans. You have put it so beautifully.

Hans Miniar Jnsson said:

To most, dreadlocks is simply a term tied to Jamaica, reggae, cannabis andRastafarianism, but what I found was a number of traditions far older than any of that, traditions rooted in nature, wisdom, self-sacrifice, etc, etc, etc,...

I had hesitated to lock ye olde mane of hair because of a few things.
1. I'm not christian. Rastafarianism, the origin of the english term "Dreadlocks", is a christian sect where the locks are a part of showing their devotion to YHVH (the judeo-christian deity.)
2. While I am of mixed heritage, I'm about as white skinned as the next guy. Dreadlocks, as a word, is strongly tied to the history of people of colour (specifically, of African descent) in Jamaica and USA.
3. There is no other actively used term for this than "dreadlocks" (or "dreads" for short) so there's no way of escaping the first two points.... people will misunderstand and misinterpret.

Doesn't matter...
Not after I found ties to my ancestors, my ancestral faith, my heritage if you will.
Not after the tradition of locks as something done, not out of rebellion, not out of combat, and not out of subservience to a deity, but out of a search for something more, a search for wisdom, a search for understanding, out of proximity/connection with the earth, etc, etc, etc, etc...

I respect wisdom more than rebellion, I want to learn and grow in wisdom myself.
I want to understand more, I want to know more, I want to be more open to the beating of the heart of nature herself.

I know that hair won't do that... but it's symbolic, it has meaning to me.
And meaning is something we create. A card doesn't have an inherent meaning, but the image, the text, and the people who give and receive it, these are the things that add emotion to the act of giving a card, and the people who have that emotion are what gives it value and meaning.
So it doesn't matter if it's "just hair", it's something I'm doing, for this reason, and this gives it value, and meaning.

Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
12 years ago
88 posts

much love to all of you <3 couldnt have answered my question more perfectly.

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form