Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Separation Anxiety

Rebekah Shupe
@rebekah-shupe
12 years ago
22 posts

Ok, I'm ...4 days in now and my hair is basically set at warp speed. I've got locks popping up all over the place and I'm pretty much in a race with them to keep them separated. I know that you need to separate to the root, and that the size there will determine the size of your dread, but is it the root space EX: 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch square that will average to an inch sized dread?? And where do I find beads? My hair kind of jumped the gun so quickly that I haven't had a chance to even look for any, and the ones I have are quickly becoming useless. HELP

updated by @rebekah-shupe: 01/13/15 09:18:41PM
baby britt
@baby-britt
12 years ago
112 posts

just keep separating, it does get sort of wild in the beginning. big frizzy mess in my experience. i've found my favorite beads on etsy =) and yes a square inch root will lead to a square inch dread

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

as a rule of thumb...your dreads will be as thick as your sections. My hair is thin....so my dreads will never be as thick as my sections. It really depends on the thickness of your hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1/2 by 1/2=1/2 1-2 = 1 1/2

1/4 x 3/4=1/2

its the average odf the root size

a 1 by 1 is a 1 inch dread but if its flat and long like 1 inch by 1/2 inch the acverage will be 3/4

just kep seperating u will hawqve alot cause your dreading in days

if u se drads in days thoise dreads might eat dreads in days

so u got a handful to deal with

but

on the other hand fast dreading means faster maturity

where others might haqve to seperate every 4 days they may need to do it that often for well over a year

and you may be able to slow downj on it in a few mionths if they settle down faster

seperatings part of dreading

you always will have to idf u dont want em growing together but it gets less and less

and there will come a point wheee u can even let em grow together and only seperate the ones that are too out of control very very very rarely

in the past 4 years ive done only 2 or 3 decent seperations and possibly a minor seperation (seperating 1-4 dreads) every 3-4 mi=onths

but i let almost all congo at will for those 4tyears letting 6 smalkkm ones become 1 big 1 i just wont let em get too huge

early stages tho its aln=most a constant

i did it absentmindedly as i was working or whatever just seperate a few here and tghere

weekly after a shyower id do 1/4 to 1/2 mu head thouroughly

you tho are a dready monstor a gobble em up and get fatr on the m type dreader

u will ned to be lil more attentive and do a full seperation every couple days while doing spot seperations as u find the need

but

as i said

when they are mostlu fully formed u can do way less

as dreads become dreadsu can just seperate the roots hre and tgere

as the roots dread they tangle les

the more thourougly seperqate u get em the less they will combine

as it is now u get hairs from section 1 being devoured by section 2's ravinouse need to feed

every seperation 2 will still have some of 1 in its throught and some will rip out

2 will swallow some more that were ripped out but as u get more thourough less and less of 1 is eatten by 2

so they begin to behave

they are hungry lil monstors tho aqrent they??

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

oh yea beads http://shops.dreadlockssite.com

but drad beads can be pricy if u need alot so tip

buy a few special ones

and the rest ..make =or use anty object with aw hole

go to a junk yard find a car with a beaded seat cover u know those beaded massage seat covers? snip snip snip the string holding it together and wala 0,000 free beads

wedding rin=fs

anty ring with no lil things to catch hairs (stione settings have those grasoy things tghat will grab every hair near it)

bones

vertebraes make interesting beads tip boil 1st maybe bleach too to steralizer

antlers

sticks

stones

anything u can put a hole in is a bead

any hole you can put something around is a bead

peyote stitches are easy to make

a peice of leather with a rawhide strap 9if nit vegan) wrap roun lace pull tight

be creative

theres a thousand holes all around the house if u look for the holes that fit tyhe drads

--
Rebekah Shupe
@rebekah-shupe
12 years ago
22 posts

Yeah, they're greedy little bastards haha I've had a few dreads that were two and when I go to separate them later that same day they've turned into one but when i separate again there's 3 in there...odd. I've decided to try to keep them a bit smaller than I'm aiming for so even when they go nuts every few hours, they will hopefully be at a desirable size still...I don't know. Still playing here. Thanks for the tips on the beads too. I've only had the small plastic ones on hand...I wasn't expecting to have to use them so fast...but I think if I get some that are bigger and have some weight to them, it may help keep my hair somewhat in-line.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea since its trying ti devour your head keeping them small for awhiles a good plan cause u will get accidental congoes and when they are well on the way u can let em thicken on purpose

but if u let em get fat today u may end up with 5 fat 1;'s forming a mega dread

its funny everyone wants faster dreading but they dont realize faster dreading means greater chance of over dreading into a hair helmet

--
Rebekah Shupe
@rebekah-shupe
12 years ago
22 posts

Right, and I am happy that mine have gotten with the program so quickly, but they're going SO fast that I'm separating multiple times a day and still barely keeping them from all joining together...crazy.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form