Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

sooooo... my dad confronted me...

Blonde Dready
@blonde-dready
15 years ago
84 posts
He got me in the hallway and is demanding that i have my hair combed out tomorow before school. He said if i want to look like bob marley hell take me to a salon, he just doesnt get it. I try to explain and it goes in one ear and out the other. I sure as fuck aint takin my dreads out! He is being a dick about it. what do i do!?
updated by @blonde-dready: 11/14/21 01:12:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dad salons are yhe worse thing you can do they deliberateluy maske a disaster and charge often up to 700 dollars and trust me it wioll look way worse then it does now its my jair im being patient so should you, after all im the 1 having to look this way through the early awkward stages not you.besides bob marly probly neverr stepped foot in a salon in his life

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
man i had the exact same problem he said to me cut urs off or leave the house so i fucked off then my mum was full skitzin my dad came and got me from me mates and here we are haha
sam
@sam
15 years ago
40 posts
THat sucks man, stay stong and show that its what you truly want, ur not just trying to be a dick to your parents and they will see it your way too.
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
I think its to the point of just being pathetic how many parents are completely unsupportive of their children having dreads, What exactly is the harm done to them? "Oh god my child is Harming MY ego by making their own decisions and I don't like you doing what makes YOU happy! I know YOU would much better off going what I DEEM NECESSARY the REST of your life."Grow up mentally, learn to be more than another selfish parent, Guide your children and help them avoid stupid mistakes, don't slam something as harmless as a hairstyle choice though.My dad was completely supportive when I got dreads, it pisses me off that you even have to hear shit from him for this.
Amma Niradhara
@amma-niradhara
15 years ago
19 posts
im a big believer in meeting pp where they're at. in other words -find a common ground. SE had a good point. bob marley never woulda set foot in a salon. regardless of whether you are trying to emulate this icon or that your dad knows this one and seems to respect the marley... start with that. tell him you are learning patience with this and yes i agree with sam too - dont be a dick yourself. show your maturity on this and he will respect you better for your choices. be strong! beam love to him behind his back when hes off guard and not looking, this really works! and also when you talk with him eye to eye. sending love your way and directing to your dad. suddenly he will be like : what came over him? you will see a change, hes all love and respect and tolerance. it works. try it. and the tam idea rocks too! get him to buy you a tam if he wants to be supportive!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
This is awesome advice. My father and mother were children of the 60s and 70s... so they were a bit more supportive. They had honestly expected me to become their little 'hippie drug child' and ended up with a wild child xP. Granted, I was already out of the house when I started my dready journey, but still my parents would email me about their concern. Just use love and wisdom against them. Don't be snarky, and don't be a smart a*s, that will only fuel their fire. Instead remain calm but strong. Rev. Nira said:
im a big believer in meeting pp where they're at. in other words -find a common ground. SE had a good point. bob marley never woulda set foot in a salon. regardless of whether you are trying to emulate this icon or that your dad knows this one and seems to respect the marley... start with that. tell him you are learning patience with this and yes i agree with sam too - dont be a dick yourself. show your maturity on this and he will respect you better for your choices. be strong! beam love to him behind his back when hes off guard and not looking, this really works! and also when you talk with him eye to eye. sending love your way and directing to your dad. suddenly he will be like : what came over him? you will see a change, hes all love and respect and tolerance. it works. try it. and the tam idea rocks too! get him to buy you a tam if he wants to be supportive!
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
I have an idea, most parents will not listen to their children, because what do they know? I remember telling my dad something I learned at college, and we was like "ya ok" Then he read it somewhere and was like "hey jo did you know this?" and was like yes dad I told you that. Parents sometimes figure that what do kids know, because they are the ones who taught you, they assume you cannot know something that they dont.But anyways, I think that we should all band together here. Lets schedule a chat, and we can bring your dad in and we can talk to him. Sometimes parents listen better to other people rather than their kids.So I will definitely participate in a chat, who else will?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
when checking the keyworsds ppl found the site by some keywords were parents of dreadlocked children support groupim going tko create 2 groups parents of dreadlocked children support group, and dready kids with unsuportive parents support groupask him to join and learn from other parents how to be moree supportive

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
argh i cant create the groups till i get my net issues fixed so someonbe else create em

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form