dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dirt/Starting Mold?

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
13 years ago
81 posts

Heysa,

lately i've beginning to see some dirt (i belive) in some of my tips of the dread. I don't know if it's just some bits of dirt, but i might be some old pieces of wax, because it kinda sits there and is stuck in some of the hair.... I did a pretty strong wash yesterday where i soaked em in bc for about 10-20min, then rinsed out and did the acv, with some hot and cold water.. (We have a kind of "Middlehard" water at 17dH) But the wash didn't seemed to helped alot.. My hair doesn't smell bad in any way...

So now is my question, how can i possible get rid of this?

feel free to ask for more (:

And another little thing: When you boil ur dreads to get the wax out, how long time should you keep the dread in the water before squeezing them?

updated by @lazdaa: 01/13/15 09:16:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

its probly wax

and long as u can it should heat up fairly quickly but just dipping it in right away and taking it out wont heat the wax enough so 30 sec to a miniute or more will thouroughly heat the wax beyond melting point

try dawn dish soap

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I have to ask you Eagle... Why Dawn? Just a question I've always had.

Dawn Antibacterial soap is next to useless for killing bacteria. I've done experiments with it and E. coli. It might might have killed one tenth of the bacteria.

I don't know how'd it would work with locks. But the best thing for killing bacteria is Ammonia. You would really want to do this with a whole lot of ventilation. But it's SO much cheaper for so much more. I don't want to tell people to use it right away, cause I don't know exactly how to wash it out and get it all out.

I know about dawn for the wax. I studied the properties of detergents. So that I understand. I mean for mold.

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
12 years ago
81 posts

I've been wondering about this, what does dawn do that the bc/acv don't?

Baba Fats said:

I have to ask you Eagle... Why Dawn? Just a question I've always had.

Dawn Antibacterial soap is next to useless for killing bacteria. I've done experiments with it and E. coli. It might might have killed one tenth of the bacteria.

I don't know how'd it would work with locks. But the best thing for killing bacteria is Ammonia. You would really want to do this with a whole lot of ventilation. But it's SO much cheaper for so much more. I don't want to tell people to use it right away, cause I don't know exactly how to wash it out and get it all out.

I know about dawn for the wax. I studied the properties of detergents. So that I understand. I mean for mold.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well, Dawn's a detergent. BS and ACV aren't.

Detergents were specifically created to wash grease. It's molecules have parts that areattractedto oils and other parts that attract water. This duel process lets the molecule get inside the wax and help break it apart from the inside. Water itself and many other soaps do not have this quality.

The fact that dawn works this way around oils makes it ideal for cleaning out wax. But you want to keep your natural oils that your scalp produces. Dawn would work the same way on them. No reason to wash them away every time you wash your locks.

What I don't know is why it's supposed to be used for mold

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
12 years ago
81 posts

Hmm i See

But i think SE means that for my situation i need to use dawn, just its prolly wax that is stuck in my tips..

But for mold im pretty sure, u just should wash whit the bc and the some lavender oil or teatree ir sine stuff..

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If it's just wax, then of course, try dawn. That's probably your best bet. I think I just missed that part. I heard wax, and I assumed the worst. I thought you were worried about mold too. sometimes the begining of mold can look like little fuzzies like lint. How long have you used wax?

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
12 years ago
81 posts

Ehh my dreads are a little over a year now, and i used wax once or twice every second week, in 4 months i think..

But i was afraid that the little bits in the end would start to mold or something..

But thanks for all your help :D

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form