Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting the journey - any advices, answers, encouragements are welcome!

Rorin Đan
@rorin-an
13 years ago
2 posts

Hello. :)
I'm about to start my "dreadlock journey", but I'm still not sure about few things, so I'd be really grateful if any of you could answer some of my questions.

First of all, I intend to go the natural way - no combing, just separating hair every once in a while and watching it grow the way it does. I have thick, curly hair, I've been dying it with henna for a year or so. I'm using a very simple shampoo, the ingredients are just the basic ones (if you know what I mean, no hardcore chemicals), it's not very agressive. Should I start using some other, more organic product, when my hair is slowly going to "shape" itself?
And also, the thing I'm questioning the most of all is washing my head, because I sometimes have dandruff and my scalp gets very itchy, and I think I'd need to wash it more than required.And how about when you for example, wash your hair, and the water gets INTO the dreadlock? Is that alright or you have to be extraskilled to handle such situation? (haha, jk)

So... sorry for such confused and omg-everything-is-so-new messy message and my clumsy English :D And thank you, if you took time to read this and leave me some information. :)

May the force be with you!

P.S. I know that there's been a lot of discussions about similar stuff that I am asking about, but somehow I still feel the urge to ask it myself. Ftw? Haha.

updated by @rorin-an: 01/13/15 09:16:12PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

So, to start off, you should be washing your hair 2-3 times a week. Don't worry about washing the hair itself. What you want to do it just scrub your scalp. As you rinse, the soap will run through your hair. Make sure you rinse really well to make sure all of the soap is out. of Dr. Bronners soap is great, or check out dreadlockshampoo.com. They have great stuff. For the first few months, you want to use liquid soap, then you can switch to bars. Even with liquid, though, you want to just wash your scalp.

The first month will be theweirdest, cause it will take you time to get used to having nappy hair that doesn't really look like dreadlocks. After a few months, they will start to take more shape. Every week or so, after you shower and your hair is wet, start separating the locks so the don't tangle together and congo. How much you do this depends on how fat you want them to be.

when you dry them with a towel, don't rough your hair up. If you can, just let them dry in the sun, but most people use a towel to start and pat them dry. If you rub them, you are going to be rubbing out the knots that are trying to form. They'll eventually lock, but it'll take longer.

Also, don't wrap them in anything to dry. Just let them hang. Don't tie them up either. Early on, locks take only a few hours to dry completely. Mature ones can take up to 6-8 hours.

Just remember to let them dry fully before you wash them again. That's why 2-3 days a week is good. Once they're a few months old, and start looking more like locks, you can go down to once a week

There are posts under the maintenance forum for more info on dandruff.

A few other helpful hints: get a little spray bottle and fill it with water, a little sea salt (1 tsp depending on the size of the bottle), 5-10 drops of tea tree oil, rosemary oil, and jojoba oil.

Peppermint oil is also great for getting rid of the itchies, but make sure you cut it with something like almond oil or jojoba to make it less harsh.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

you guys dont need me no more with baba around givcing such great detailed answers :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Thanks, but we'll always need you Eagle. I don't know everything. I still tell people all the time to contact you and ask about things I'm not sure about.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

haha but you sure give great detailed answers and show real dedication so ..just appreciating all ya do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

lol. really, I just want that free bar of soap in January. ::shifty eyes::

Na. I just feel like the more I'm on and the more I comment, the more people will comment back and I can learn something new. It's completely selfish

Just want to promote a fun and communal atmosphere for you guys

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form