Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

"Hey, are you TRYING to DO dreads?"

Brandy :]
@brandy
13 years ago
106 posts

what does this mean? lol i get so many people that come into my work (i work at jcpenney) and ask me "are you trying to do dreads?"

I mean dont get me wrong i get lots of weird looks or rude comments (mostly from black people or snooty rich people) and lots and lots of really great comments and words ofencouragementi even have little old ladies that tell me how "darling" they look on me x) which makes ya feel all warm inside....but the most troubling thing to me is when someone asks are you trying to do dreads.

i understand my babiesaren'tfully mature yet, but i think by looking at them you coulddefinitelysay they are dreadlocks. and you dont have to TRY to have dreadlocks, you literally do nothing, and i know i cant expect everyone to know that, but its just so silly to me i guess, that someone is asking if im trying to do something that has already happened.

but nonetheless i answer them with a yes, and they say "cool, they WILL look good on you" againinsinuating that i havent gotten them yet.lol
anyways, rant over.lol

ALSO i have a question....some of my dreads are rather flat, will they round out once they mature?

Ive been meaning to put up pictures or make a video for my three month mark, but ive been busy with work, i should be at work now but ive been stuck at home for three days with a 103 fever :( everything hurts.lol but i should be well soon, and all this sleeping is making my dreads go craaaazy, they are simply beautiful.

peace.

-b

updated by @brandy: 01/13/15 09:10:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

most will round out some

you are at 3 months so still babies so its understandable that ppl who think dreasds come from salons will look at it as an unfinnished project instead of the begining of a journey

they jjust dont understand the process

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brandy :]
@brandy
13 years ago
106 posts

right on SE. so would wrapping it help?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

round it? yea but will also squish it making t thinner then the new growth better to leave em alone theres nothing wrong with em being flat they will tend to rpund but if they dont..so what

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

My nan loves my dreads :) I thought that was pretty cool, cos she freaked out when my cousin dyed her hair. Anyway, the comments and looks will get annoying, but hey, people hate on what they don't understand, or when something doesn't conform to their idea of how something should be

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Hi, Brandy. These people might sound rude but most of them are probably just ignorant. There was a time when I knew zilch about dreads and might've said something just as dumb.

Like SE said, most people in our society don't understand process. We're brought up on instant gratification and faster is better. You might have to explain why you didn'tgo to a salonover and over, to every person that comments. Maybe that's one of the reasons we've opted for natural dreads - to learn patience.

Actually, going by your photos, your dreads coming on good. I'm at about 3 months too and mine are all over the place. Look at pics of people who've had dreads for years - theirs were once messy babies. They probably got stupid comments too, but look at what they've got now.Keep at it, keep smiling!

FoxPaw
@foxpaw
13 years ago
114 posts
Its funny a lot of people ask "man are you twistin up?" I say "haha what? " and I say I just wash & don't comb" and they say "haha what?" Then the dreaducating begins lol
Chris Mora
@chris-mora
13 years ago
41 posts

oh my god the same EXACT question im being asked everyday. i hate how many people believe that dreadlocks happen over night.

mayonaise
@mayonaise
13 years ago
19 posts

I get that question alot too. Once i had some one ask me if i was trying to undo dreads, when i told them that my hair was in the process of dreading they recommended i use wax and dry shampoo,insinuating i was not "doing it right".

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form