Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread a Wig?

Makyea
@makyea
6 years ago
13 posts

I was planing on using synthetic cause I have family in india and hear the stories of people stealing women's hair to sell to hair and wig companies. You guys the military does not own your looks 24/7 as long as you meet uniform standards when you are working for them/wearing their uniform thats all they care about. I know people you have fake piercings, clip in "scene" extensions, etc. but that are in the military.

I think it is ridiculous that just because it is a wig that makes it a party accessory. Women wear wigs all the time and treat it like their real hair. The only difference is that I take mine off during Physical Training sessions rather than just at night.

Also someone is gonna have to serve and I want someone out there that is doing the job right & for the right reasons rather than some trigger happy 9/11 racist who wants to kill "all dem arabs!"

If I spend a lot of time on the Kanekalon fibers and a needle can they look good? I don't want it to look like one of the barbies who you had to wrestle from the dog. :]

updated by @makyea: 07/23/15 03:42:10PM
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
6 years ago
338 posts

LOL I can understand how it sounds, Lauren, but the majority of the hair is bought from women in Asia...Thai women, in addition to being amazing craftswomen, also grow beautiful hair that they sell to make money for their families. A lot of the women have been rescued from slavery adn prostitution and are very happy to make a legitimate income. It's cleansed before it's sold, no worries, and it grows back really fast, probably due to diet and climate.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
6 years ago
338 posts
here's a link to my one fall I have up--the kanekalon are the dark ans medium browns,so you can judge for yourself']http://www.etsy.com/listing/65393076/painted-desert-dread-fall
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
6 years ago
338 posts
and here's a scan of the ones I use to display my jewelry...
Makyea
@makyea
6 years ago
13 posts

Oh wow thats beautiful! What are the orange ones made of or are those Kanekalon too? They look great! I wonder how it would mix with straight Kanekalon fibers? I can't wait to try. I can see this will be the perfect super time consumin project for me :]

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
6 years ago
338 posts

Yep, the goldy ones are too'] I like to mix colors (oops and thanks!) I use both straight adn coarse--the yellow is coarse texture, as are the black with purple---the purple is hand dyed silk

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
6 years ago
164 posts

I agree with the statements about the military... if you really want to dread your hair, I think you should wait until you are out of the USMC service. You will be expected to behave in a certain manner and look a certain way even when your day is done, and I also really think the wig is pointless. A wig is not *you*... I agree with the sentiments that dreads are not temporary part accessories, they are a lifestyle as well as a hair style. I think you have to really love them and take time for them and you won't be able to do that in your service as a Marine. If you must have them, I think it would be a good idea to wait.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
6 years ago
164 posts

I only know of one person who accomplished wearing dreadlocks and serving in the military, and that's because the hair rule only applied to white men, which he was not. haha.

Makyea
@makyea
6 years ago
13 posts

There are no race specific rules he probably could keep them because they were neat and looked more like braids than dreads. So is a cancer patient merely wearing an accessory? The dreads that Mylene suggested are merely accessories as well. I know a lot about military rules and regulations and when they stop so please don't keep saying the same thing that I can't wear what I want when I am off duty because I know I can. So I want to create dreads and maintain them in a wig that I won't wear 4 days out of the week during the morning and for months at a time while deployed. I will treat them just as my own but I will have to take them off at certain times. Does that make them any less mine? Is a cross dresser still a cross dresser if her wears a suit to work? Is a married Hindu woman treating her religion as an accessory because she doesn't wear her mangalsutra to work?

Makyea
@makyea
6 years ago
13 posts

I may have to become a customer because those are so beautiful. I am in awe! :]

ExaltHimx7 said:

Yep, the goldy ones are too'] I like to mix colors (oops and thanks!) I use both straight adn coarse--the yellow is coarse texture, as are the black with purple---the purple is hand dyed silk

/ 4

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form