Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
ShadowsLight
@shadowslight
15 years ago
4 posts
I'm considering dyeing my dreads and would like some opinions/advice before I go ahead with it. I would be dyeing them darker than my natural hair color, so there's no bleach/high lift involved.My main concern is potentially wrecking my dreads (they are about 7 months old, by the way). Anyone have any really bad experience with dyeing their dreads, and/or have any advice?Thanks!
updated by @shadowslight: 01/13/15 08:27:32PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
in the herbs threads theres info on using herbs to darken dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
I would embrace your natural color but if you do dye it use the herbs.If that isnt enough for your taste use the henna hair dies. Most health food stores have them.
ShadowsLight
@shadowslight
15 years ago
4 posts
Thank you both. :)
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
I've been told the henna dyes are nothing short of amazing.
Storm
@storm
12 years ago
36 posts

Different herbal teas can be used to dye hair darker. I think rosemary is one, and I've also heard of using walnuts. You can google it. Henna is amazing (don't even get me started on it lol) but make sure you use only BODY ART QUALITY henna. I would not recommend buying it as a 'hair dye' like how they sell it in stores. You run the risk of having metals and other non-henna contaminants snuck in there (which can not only just be bad in general, but if you have old chemical dye in your hair or get a chemical dye later bad bad very bad things could happen). I get mine from Tap Dancing Lizard online, high quality and good prices. I've also heard of people dying their hair using kool-aid but I have no idea how to do it or how long it lasts, I'm sure google knows that one too :P (I've used kool-aid to dye wool roving and that turned out awesome but it was white roving, and I've seen someone dye a white poodle pink using red kool aid).

Storm
@storm
12 years ago
36 posts

Oh, and for lightening hair, lemon juice+sunlight. I've also heard cranberry juice can be used similarly.

And a note on the henna, it's difficult enough to rinse out all the henna from non-dreaded hair so just keep that in mind. I've seen it done on locks but I'm sure it's a pain to get out completely.

Storm said:

Different herbal teas can be used to dye hair darker. I think rosemary is one, and I've also heard of using walnuts. You can google it. Henna is amazing (don't even get me started on it lol) but make sure you use only BODY ART QUALITY henna. I would not recommend buying it as a 'hair dye' like how they sell it in stores. You run the risk of having metals and other non-henna contaminants snuck in there (which can not only just be bad in general, but if you have old chemical dye in your hair or get a chemical dye later bad bad very bad things could happen). I get mine from Tap Dancing Lizard online, high quality and good prices. I've also heard of people dying their hair using kool-aid but I have no idea how to do it or how long it lasts, I'm sure google knows that one too :P (I've used kool-aid to dye wool roving and that turned out awesome but it was white roving, and I've seen someone dye a white poodle pink using red kool aid).

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form