Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Decided to redo dreads

MC
@mc
14 years ago
5 posts

I posted a question titled "Salon Nightmare?" a couple days ago and after reading the responses, I decided to redo my dreads.

I found out that they braided my hair at the root and used the interlocking method afterwards. Then they placed an extremely tight rubber band at the start of the crocheted locks.

The method I chose is the twist and rip method and I have a some questions I want to ask to figure out if I did it correctly and other things...

I finished redoing five locks today and I've noticed a lot of loose hair around the root of my newly done dreads. Is that normal?
Also, is it normal for the dreads formed from the twist and rip method look kind of like a christmas tree and there to be a lot of loose hair on my scalp (neer the roots of the new dreads)?
Finally, (sorry for asking so much questions), a lot of my hair got damaged by the salon and as I was combing out the dreads they made a lot of hair fell out. I did the twist and rip method with the leftovers and they are kind of thin. I do not really care that they are thin, since I'm going to allow my dreads to form by themselves (which I learned from this wonderful site). Would my dreadlocks be more natural and healthy for my hairif I just leave the crocheted dreadlocks to recover or comb those out and redo them?
How the salon did my hair: I found out that they braided my hair at the root and used the interlocking method afterwards. Then they placed an extremely tight rubber band at the start of the crocheted locks. They just combined all the bad ways to make a dread on my hair... ='(

updated by @mc: 01/13/15 08:52:23PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

well hard to say what will be healthiest cause leaving the interlocking is risky

combing out will do a lil more dammage and u will lose hair biut that hairs lost already just trapped in there

the rest well sounds somewhat noermal but hard to tell from the descriptions a few pics would help

also thin dreads thicken over time (unless crochetted to death)

the loose hairs are nothing to worry about at all they take care of themselves as it dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valerie
@valerie
14 years ago
39 posts

well im not an expert but it sounds like your dreads will do better now that you redid them... the tight braids at the roots sounds awful. probably hurt too.

obviously your dreads are ganna be a little thinner but besides that, your hair will be hair and dread if you dont mess around with them.

this christmas tree reference throws me off a bit though. pictures???

and loose hairs are nothing to worry about :) thheyll sort themselves out

JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts

they will get fatter andthe christmas tree thing is normal, but i think the loose hairs you are talking about at the root kinda sounds like broken hairs from the salon nightmare. theywill recover with time.

now.... i'm kinda confused about this "Would my dreadlocks be more natural and healthy for my hairif I just leave the crocheted dreadlocks to recover or comb those out and redo them?"

i would redo any dreads at all that had been interlocked. interlocking really fucks dreads up andwill forever causelots of tension in the dreads because of the twisting done at the root. it's horrible, trust me. they will hang weird and you will have an obvious weak spot in your dread.

MC
@mc
14 years ago
5 posts

I see.

"Would my dreadlocks be more natural and healthy for my hairif I just leave the crocheted dreadlocks to recover or comb those out and redo them?"
-sorry about that. I was in a hurry since I don't have much time on the computer. What I ment was, would it be better to just leave the salon made dread to recover or to just redo them.

Sorry I haven't been able to post pictures.I have been really busy with work. Also, I'll be leaving South Korea tomorrow to go to Guam. I'll post some pictures once I get settled on Guam.

Thank you so much again for all the great advice. I've been redoing all the salon made dreads and also plan to go natural.
Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
14 years ago
59 posts
I feel really bad lol. From following the 'sacred instruction of Jonny Clean'..... when my ex started dreading, when loops and loose bits appeared in his back combed dreads he got me to interlock through those bits for him, so now many of his dreads are interlocked like half way up................. :/Ooops.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form