Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I feel like my natural dreads are at such a blah stage. A few questions.

Emily Smith
@emily-smith
14 years ago
31 posts

I don't know if this is just part of the process of having natural dreads, but I am about 4.5 months in an my dreads just seem very.....blah. I can't seem to find a word to describe it. There are a bunch of loops and stuff (and the loops look very cool individually), and my hair has gotten about 6 inches shorter. I feel like I still have a lot of loose hairs also. I also feel like when I separate them it caused more loose hairs. I have started separating them only once a week or so. How can I make sure them separating them isn't causing more loose hairs? I posted some pictures also to show everyone how short they are (there are pictures on my profile of my hair before it was dreaded to show you how long it was)

Is it normal to go through this bleh period? And is separating my dreads increasing my loose hairs like I feel it is?

updated by @emily-smith: 02/14/15 03:27:18AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
they look amazingbut ofcourse seperatings causing more loose hairsto seperate u break connecting hairs and create loose hairsbut not seperating u get all the dreasds forming togetherweekly is about all u should need to seperate and most likely not all of em only the ones eatting eachotherreally they look amazingi dont think the dreads are having a blah period ..im guessing maybe you are?i think alotta ppl with 4 month old natural dreads wished theyre s were doing as well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RebelnYell
@rebelnyell
14 years ago
8 posts
id recommend you keep on-top of separating them. Though you will get loose hairs and what not I feel it is better to keep them maintained at least in a separating sense. I didn't do anything with separating my dreads for around a half a year and this weekend I started to attempted to break up some of the congos. Let just say it wasn't that enjoyable. Some of my hairs were joined to dreads from pretty great distances. For example dreads from the side of my head where grasping hairs growing out of the back of my head. The worst was towards the back of my head. I spent most of the weekend just "picking" at my head trying to separate each hair individual so I didn't have to make any drastic cuts and ruin any dreads. I'm actually still not done the separating process.
Now that I've gone of on a tangent of my own experience, I think it is better to separate where and when you see fit. It is better than having to do it when dreads are already committed to dreading with each other. Saves you some pain and time in the long run.
And addressing the loops and stuff that is normal.
Emily Smith
@emily-smith
14 years ago
31 posts
Thank you both. I think maybe it is just that I am having a bleh period. I am stuck wearing them under a wool beanie almost every day because I work in a kitchen and i think I just miss seeing them all the time like I did this summer. When I do get to see them down they look so foreign to me. I have a couple of dreads that just decided they saw it fit to grow together, but I was fine with that. I will try to only concentrate on the ones that are in need or separation as opposed to going through my whole head that way I will decrease the amount of loose hairs.Thank you both once again. = ]
Kaitelyn
@kaitelyn
14 years ago
17 posts
i think they look great as well. they have a lot of personality, and the loops are awesome. chin up sunshine :)
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
WOW! They are stunning!! Seriously I love them! They have so much character. Keep them separated. When mine were about the same age as yours I went through a period of having to separate everyday and now at 8 months i don't have to at all really. Sounds like your hair is doing everything it's supposed to at this stage! My hair was at my bum 8 months ago now some is to my shoulders and some to my chin! Have faith, they are going to be epic, i just know it! Many Blessings
and blah is definitely not a word i would use to describe your dreads! ;o)
Emily Smith
@emily-smith
14 years ago
31 posts
Thank you guys! I am feeling better about them already. = ]
Jon
@jon
14 years ago
7 posts
mine look basicly the same as yours do. Just a bit of advice about separating, keep up on it. i went about 3 months without and had 4 come together in 1 spot and 2 or 3 in another. It is really painful to separate when the join at the roots and you have to yank those suckers apart. the small ones are easy. i still have 2 joined at the root that i haven't split up yet because i'm not looking forward to it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea by 3 months u got a congo 3 months is about how long congos take to formso when i seperated id do a few a week so i got to most every month or so

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

your loops are dynamite. I wish i could get some loops and zigs and what not. Mine are only 3 weeks old.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form