Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Looking for help starting dreads

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
I am looking for someone to start my dreadlocks or at least help. I am having a hard time finding someone locally who doesn't want to charge me $500 to do it! I prefer to have my hair backcombed and them dreadpermed, but would be happy with just the backcombing or crocheting....I am in Pinellas County, FL--Tampa/Clearwater area.I am also willing to barter--I am a Licensed Massage Therapist!
updated by @mama-harrison: 02/14/15 12:32:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh god no u do not want a dread perm! backcombings not good eitherthank god u found us we will not only sabve u 500 but save your dreads toodread perm is the absolute worse waty to dreadjust twist and rip yourself theres plenty of help right herebetter yet..go natural..but for gods sake dont do a salon or perm!!! ask around you'll see the dread perms a disaster

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
crochet is a mistake too twist and rip is the way to go if u dont go natural

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dread perms permenantly alter your texture so the permed parts loook feel and smell different from the real dread new growth most people who dread perm end up chopping off the permed part anywaythank god we saved u from a total disaster (and waste of 500 bucks)

--
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
thanks for your concern, but i am not looking to be 'talked out of' a dreadperm. I have done my own research and am confident in it. I am looking for someone who can help me to either backcomb or dreadperm or T n R my hair, please--no judgments. I know that you prefer the natural method, but I cannot go that route for many reasons. I know many people who have started dreads and maintained them for years successfully from dreadperms/backcombing--I am glad that you provide this forum and info for those interested and journeying with dreads, but natural isn't the only way--it is 1 way.so--anyone willing to help backcomb/ Tn R or know of someone who can dreadperm in or around Clearwater/Tampa area.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
where did u do this reasearch because we have never ever seen 1 drewad perm come out good they are always a deisaster but your wecome to make any mistake yu want but just look here art testimonials from actual dread perm vicyims look at yoshi first the poor guy was rorturred with a dread perm look how hios "dreads" turned outu do not nree4d help with backcomnbing either all u need is better advice then u been gettingif you think dread perms the way to go youve been talkinmg to the wrong people completelyive been heklping people dread for years and helping them recover from every mistake u can make and dread perm is universaly agreed to be the worse..it should only be used when absoluteky every other methods failed and only with the understanding that 6 months later u will want to chop off the permed partseveryone regrets itso u think your research beats real life testimonials?yoshi is probly in chat now go ask him how great a dread perm is

--
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I did all my hair twist n rip myself. It may take a while but it's free and will make for great locks down the road.

Knottysleeves said:
Not judging... just want to make sure you understand what's involved. I'm a fan of backcombing (started both my sets that way) but dreadperms are a totally different beast, and most people who come to this forum have NO idea how they're done or why they're so bad.The vast majority of stylists seem to believe that the more damaged your hair = the better it will dread. Even the Hair Police, who supposedly "invented" the dread perm, apparently teach their licensed stylists to overprocess the client's hair (meaning they leave the perm solution on for much longer than recommended). Sure, some people's hair can take that kind of abuse and their dreadperm will turn out fine... but it's the kind of thing you don't know for sure until it's too late. At least with backcombed dreads, you can comb them out (I combed my first set out after 6 years) and still have relatively healthy hair.Anyways, whatever stylist and method you choose to go with, make sure they are specifically experienced with dreadperms and have photographic proof that their clients still have healthy dreads after 1 year, 2 years, 5 years. There ARE stylists out there who understand how dreadperms work, and are ethical enough to advise against it if your hair isn't suitable for that technique, but that kind of expertise won't come cheap. Just so you know. :-)
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
thanks for the replies and the concern. Soaringeagle, you are coming across as rude, FYI. I appreciate your 'concern', but I will decide what works best for me, thanks--I understand that perms cause much damage and I would prefer to use the TnR method or backcombing, but do not have anyone to help---I have long, thick hair and need to it to be dreadlocked all in one sitting (for appearance sake--not that it has to look 'great', just needs to look uniform when pulled back) and have a 10 month old daughter--so--I cannot possibly do it alone. Would like to find someone to HELP with the process--get the back of my head etc.....if i cannot find someone to help--then I have decided to get a dread perm--I only know of 1 experienced lady who does them and she wants to charge an arm and a leg (makes sense since she is super experienced and has many clients with dreadlocks years old) but i am unwilling to pay such a hefty fee. so--i would prefer to not have a dreadperm, but not if it means=no dreads--I am ready to start the journey and looking for someone to help in person.thanks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yoshis gonna help u but he had perfectly great hair for dreading the salon said "your hairs too healthy to dread im going to have to totaly destry oit and fry the shit out of it"thats the theory they believe in the truth is healthy hair dreads way easy (mine in 2 weeks flat naturaly) so she destroyed his hair permenantly his entire body broke out in itchy hives he was covered in scabs and months later still stinkshe was told not to wash till he could wax his hair too another really devastating mistakethe average dread salon knows less about dreads then the average 2 year old..they are taoight only the worse ways to dread and they charger a ton to destroy your hairu can do whatever u want but i gusrantee you'll be back trying to figure out how to save your dreadsu could on the other hand twist and rip right now yourself and have a freind help and have dreads to be proud of in a few hoursthe difference being 1 if u screw it up u can fix it the other..the damage is permenant and u will never be able to fix it without growing it out and cutting it off

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok see thats progressu do not bneed anyone with experirencehave 1 freind or 2 freinds over for dreading party rent some moviesstart underneath where it wont show and twist and rip after a dread or 2 your technique will improve it will get better and faster and easierbut even the sloppy 1st 1 will be just finecost of dreads 2 movie rentaks some snacks and wharever other patrtyu favors u enjoymaybe pay your freinds 20 bucks each if u mustim not trying to be rude im just desperately trying to save u from a massive mistakeits because i care...when i hear someone wanting to dread perm my heart sinks and i go into omg i gotta save u mode because well if u do tyour going to hate it and cut emi dont want thatso 2 freinds 2 vids snacksand we will guide u thriugh every step,..its super easy Dana Harrison said:
thanks for the replies and the concern. Soaringeagle, you are coming across as rude, FYI. I appreciate your 'concern', but I will decide what works best for me, thanks--I understand that perms cause much damage and I would prefer to use the TnR method or backcombing, but do not have anyone to help---I have long, thick hair and need to it to be dreadlocked all in one sitting (for appearance sake--not that it has to look 'great', just needs to look uniform when pulled back) and have a 10 month old daughter--so--I cannot possibly do it alone. Would like to find someone to HELP with the process--get the back of my head etc.....

if i cannot find someone to help--then I have decided to get a dread perm--I only know of 1 experienced lady who does them and she wants to charge an arm and a leg (makes sense since she is super experienced and has many clients with dreadlocks years old) but i am unwilling to pay such a hefty fee. so--i would prefer to not have a dreadperm, but not if it means=no dreads--I am ready to start the journey and looking for someone to help in person.

thanks.

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form